Pentium 4 processor 533 FSB on motherboard 400 FSB?

Hi,
I just got an intel pentium 4 processor 2.4 Ghz 533 MHz FSB, but my
motherboard supports up to 400 MHz FSB. does anyone of you know if I can
plug it considering a downgrading of FSB to 400 MHz in the processor, or
just the system crashed?
Thank you

On Thu, 24 Feb 2005 12:22:04 +0100, "elmunyon" <elmunyon@yahoo.com>
wrote:

>Hi,
> I just got an intel pentium 4 processor 2.4 Ghz 533 MHz FSB, but my
>motherboard supports up to 400 MHz FSB. does anyone of you know if I can
>plug it considering a downgrading of FSB to 400 MHz in the processor, or
>just the system crashed?
> Thank you

It should run fine so long as it's set to the correct clock multiplier
and FSB manually.
auto default setting
18x133fsb=2.394ghz
manual settings you need to make
18x100fsb=1.8ghz

elmunyon wrote:

> Hi,
> I just got an intel pentium 4 processor 2.4 Ghz 533 MHz FSB, but my
> motherboard supports up to 400 MHz FSB. does anyone of you know if I can
> plug it considering a downgrading of FSB to 400 MHz in the processor, or
> just the system crashed?
> Thank you

What chip set do you have? The 533 MHz system runs a 133MHz memory bus that
becomes 266MHz Dual Data Rate, that becomes 533MHz Dual Channel Dual Data
Rate. Hence a 400MHz FSB Pentium 4 board is rare unless it's very old.

On Sat, 26 Feb 2005 20:56:08 GMT, Johannes H Andersen
<johs@sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssizefitter.com> wrote:

>elmunyon wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>> I just got an intel pentium 4 processor 2.4 Ghz 533 MHz FSB, but my
>> motherboard supports up to 400 MHz FSB. does anyone of you know if I can
>> plug it considering a downgrading of FSB to 400 MHz in the processor, or
>> just the system crashed?
>> Thank you
>
>What chip set do you have? The 533 MHz system runs a 133MHz memory bus that
>becomes 266MHz Dual Data Rate, that becomes 533MHz Dual Channel Dual Data
>Rate. Hence a 400MHz FSB Pentium 4 board is rare unless it's very old.

They aren't all that rare! The Pentium 4 first shipped with a 400MT/s
bus speed on the 20th of Nov, 2000. The very first 533MT/s bus speed
P4 chips didn't ship until May 6, 2002. That's a good year and a half
where 400MT/s bus speed boards were all that was out there.

Also, I'm not really sure what you're getting on about with that
memory bus. The memory bus and processor bus most definitely do not
need to be synchronous in the vast majority of P4 chipsets (it's a
good idea, but not required). What's more, while one could argue one
either side of the argument that a Double Data Rate memory bus running
at 133MHz was a "266MHz" bus (I would say 'no', since your clock speed
is still 133MHz, it's only your data rate that is doubling and it is
not measured in Hz), it's most definitely false to say that
dual-channel memory bus double things again. A dual-channel memory
bus running at 200MHz is still running at 200MHz. It's twice as wide,
but the clock isn't changing.

-------------
Tony Hill

>Hi,
> I just got an intel pentium 4 processor 2.4 Ghz 533 MHz FSB, but my motherboard supports up to 400 MHz FSB. does anyone of you know if I can
>plug it considering a downgrading of FSB to 400 MHz in the processor, or
>just the system crashed?

A 533Mhz (4 x 133) FSB p4 should work on a 400MHz (4 x 100) FSB S748
board, but will by default run at a slower speed since Intel chips are
multiplier. If your board supports overclocking the CPU, would could
try to raise the FSB in the bios to reach that 4 x 133MHz, just as
long if the RAM (either DDR or RDRAM for boards based on the 850) can
handle it.