Pentium G3258 Overheating?

Kevin L

Honorable
Jun 28, 2013
I built my grandma a computer for Christmas, and I'm stress testing it basically just for fun, since it won't be overclocked. I ran prime95 and used core temp to measure the temperature. For some odd reason, the temperature seemed a bit jittery, and its max was nearly 90c! I am aware that is way too hot. It is not overclocked, and i am using the stock heat sink provided. I used isopropyl alcohol to rub off the stock thermal compound, and applied some of my own. I did it correctly by putting a small "grain of rice" size dot of compound directly in the center of the cpu. I am totally sure I put the cooler on correctly, so I am not sure what the problem is. I felt the heat sink after stress testing, and it was just slightly warm, which leads me to think maybe coretemp is incorrect. Let me know what you think.

Catalin98

Reputable
Jul 7, 2014
I have the same CPU with a Scythe Katana 4, but mine doesn't overheat, just jumps from 30 degs to 60 in 2 seconds :D, the good part is that it cools down as fast when i close prime95. Look into bios and see if your voltage is too high. I recommend 1.200v, also try mounting the cooler again and make sure all the push pins are seated correctly. Try to use the ''Pea method'' when applying thermal compound, a grain of rice looks like is too little, imo. If the problem still persists, it may be a bad sensor.

Kevin L

Honorable
Jun 28, 2013

Yeah, I checked that and I even reapplied it twice now. You cant shake the heat sink so I am assuming its very solid

Kevin L

Honorable
Jun 28, 2013

Yeah, every CPU I have owned always jumps from 60 to 30 in like 2 seconds. I don't know what the heck thats about lol. CPU-Z says my voltage at 100% load is 1.094v. I re installed the cooler like twice now and its firmly in place. The fan only spins a tad louder and faster during stress testing, which leads me to believe it probably is a horrible sensor because the fan isn't killing itself like it should be.

Catalin98

Reputable
Jul 7, 2014
If it doesn't shut down by itself at 85*C, most likely is a bad sensor. By the way, are you using HWMonitor? If not, use that and read only core0, core1 and package temps.

Kevin L

Honorable
Jun 28, 2013

It has to be a bad sensor, It hit 101C, like what the heck. It would commit suicide before that ever happened. Ill try hwmonitor now.

Kevin L

Honorable
Jun 28, 2013

Meh, I don't really care enough. Sensor doesn't work but its not like it doesn't overheat. I am definitely not going to overclock ever, and I don't hear the fan exploding, so I say the temps are fine! (Wish I could still see them though)