Pentium G630 paired with GTX 650?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cakekindel

Honorable
Mar 30, 2012
My custom PC is almost complete, and I wanted to consult the experts on whether the Pentium would bottleneck the overall performance of my PC. I plan on gaming with this particular build, probably Black Ops 2, FC3, Skyrim, and some other, older, games. I have a 460W PSU, if that helps. Thanks in advance!

cakekindel

Honorable
Mar 30, 2012

But would you agree that the processor doesn't really hinder performance due to more usage of the GPU in games versus the CPU? Or do you think I should've sacrificed some cash and jumped for a better processor? Also, thanks :)

Edit;
My monitor's max resolution is 1440 x 900, so that's what I'll be playing at.

MajinCry

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2011
An i3? Not really. The difference is, what, 20%? 30%?

If you hadn't already bought the system, I'd have recommended the 965 BE.
And hyperthreading? Last I heard, it actually hindered game performance.

@OP The CPU isn't as important in games as people love to spew. The GPU does all the graphic work. I say you've made a good decision; the new Pentiums are good CPUs for the dosh.

cakekindel

Honorable
Mar 30, 2012
Thanks for all the replies. I've actually got everything but the case and the optical drive at this point, so I was just wondering if it'd be worth it to upgrade, even though I'd already planned on it in the future if I felt that it was bottlenecking the system. Thanks all, and I look forward to more opinions!

cakekindel

Honorable
Mar 30, 2012

Thanks! That's more than I needed! You're all great!

cakekindel

Honorable
Mar 30, 2012

Thanks a lot to you as well!

logainofhades

Titan

Might want to go back and read the latest CPU under $200 review and best gaming CPU's for the money, then. The i3's benefit from hyperthreading as newer games have taken advantage of more than 2 cores. Keep in mind, this benefit is only for the dual core cpu's. The i7 doesn't get this benefit as it already has 4 physical cores to begin with and most games currently aren't using more than like 3-4 now.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-cpu-review-overclock,3106-3.html
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-processor-frame-rate-performance,3427.html

Status
Not open for further replies.