[SOLVED] Pentium Gold G6405 vs i5 3570

Apr 7, 2022
I am looking to upgrade my old desktop.

I wanted to know whether it would be better to go for a brand new Pentium Gold G6405. Or should I go for a refurbished i5 3570 ? Both would cost the same for me but I would get better warranty on the new one.

Would the performance match considering that Pentium Gold is 10th generation and the i5 is a 3rd generation.

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

You're first task would be to inform us of your current system specs as well as the tasks you intend to tax the system with. Please parse the specs to your build like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:
Monitor:

Both might cost the same to you, but they use two different platforms, one is DDR3 based the other is DDR4 based.

What is your intended use?
What will be the rest of the system?

From a performance point of view, they are comparable.
The G6405 is marginally faster in single thread performance.
I would go with the newer gen processor.
Warranty on intel processors means little; they very rarely fail.

And, I might suspect that you may have better choices.

Apr 7, 2022
Current config:
CPU: AMD Athlon(tm) II X2 250 Processor
Motherboard: Asus M4N68T-M-LE-V2
Ram: 8 gb DDR3
SSD/HDD: 160 Gb SATA HDD
GPU: none
PSU: 400 watt
Chassis: Tower
Monitor: Dell 20 inch monitor

My current config runs slow when I use Chrome and doesn't support dual displays.

I will be installing Debian 11 or Ubuntu in it. I will use Chrome on it. I will install Virtualbox on it and run 2-3 virtual machines on it for learning Kubernetes, Docker, Jenkins, Elasticsearch, Kafka, etc. Although I won't be running all of them at the same time. I am a Linux admin and transitioning towards Devops.

Apr 7, 2022
What is your intended use?
What will be the rest of the system?

From a performance point of view, they are comparable.
The G6405 is marginally faster in single thread performance.
I would go with the newer gen processor.
Warranty on intel processors means little; they very rarely fail.

And, I might suspect that you may have better choices.
Intel processors rarely fail but I think that can't be said about motherboards. I think motherboards fail quite often especially refurbished ones

Apr 7, 2022
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

You're first task would be to inform us of your current system specs as well as the tasks you intend to tax the system with. Please parse the specs to your build like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:
Monitor:

Both might cost the same to you, but they use two different platforms, one is DDR3 based the other is DDR4 based.
Current config:

My current config runs slow when I use Chrome and doesn't support dual displays.

I will be installing Debian 11 or Ubuntu in it. I will use Chrome on it. I will install Virtualbox on it and run 2-3 virtual machines on it for learning Kubernetes, Docker, Jenkins, Elasticsearch, Kafka, etc. Although I won't be running all of them at the same time. I am a Linux admin and transitioning towards Devops.

Intel processors rarely fail but I think that can't be said about motherboards. I think motherboards fail quite often especially refurbished ones
So you are talking about buying complete new systems based on those two CPUs and not just the CPUs?
Then you should list the specs of the systems you consider buying so that people can tell you which one they think is better.

Apr 7, 2022
So you are talking about buying complete new systems based on those two CPUs and not just the CPUs?
Then you should list the specs of the systems you consider buying so that people can tell you which one they think is better.
You currently have an old AMD system.
Buying an also old Intel system is not the solution, unless you can get the whole thing for under $50.

What about the current system is lacking?
What is your actual budget for this whole change?
It lacks dual display. Sometimes it hangs when I am using Chrome. I live in India where these things are expensive compared to USA. My budget is around $130 to $200.

USAFRet

Titan
Eh, it does support virtualization and the small linux distros don't need that much ram or cpu, if he runs one at a time and gives them 2Gb he would be ok.
Yeah, it does "support" virtualization.
Which does not necessarily mean "run well".

And it will "run" the Linux OSs on minimal RAM. But if you actually want to do anything real with them....8GB will be pretty slim.

Apr 7, 2022
Both of which will also need a new motherboard.

Given buying a new CPU, more RAM, and a new CPU....buy something much much newer.
The Pentium G6405 will be lacking in your proposed VM realm.
I won't get a new motherboard for the i5-3570. It will be an old Dell Optiplex with a Dell motherboard and I will get only 30 days warranty. But I will get a new motherboard for Pentium G6405 and both configurations cost the same.

Well, after you take away the resources of running the host, sure.

Will it work at a basic level?
Sure.

Just don't expect any magical performance from it.
Running the host alone doesn't use up much resources, when idle it uses close to zero cpu and the ram you give to the VM it can use for itself.
When you run something heavy on the host sure it will impact performance a lot on the pentium but that's true for running anything alongside on a pentium not for VM specifically.

Current config:

Just from the cpu end I wonder if you would be better off keeping your current setup and bumping the cpu up.

I'll let you chase that.