Pentium IV temperature puzzle

VSD

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I have just installed my new rig: Pentium IV 1500 + Asus P4T.

Well, after switching on my system this morning for the first time
CPU temperature was 67º C ?? (mobo 19ºC). After running for 30 minutes playing a game it showed 69 º C (only 2ºC more) ???.

I touched the heatsink and it was slightly warm not over 30ºC .sure
Fan rpm always the same more or less ... about 3400 (it´s an Intel variable speed fan depending on mobo temperature).

What´s going on here ...

Why is CPU temperature so high after switching on (it only takes about 30 sec.) ?.

Thanks in advance.

pd. Of course I used thermal paste.

G

My advice is to HEED THE WARNING SIGNS and take it back immediately for a refund. You may be unlucky and simply have copped a faulty cpu (but I doubt it)! Just think, you could probably buy two top notch Athlons with the money you get back on this.

I personally wouldn't have a P4 as a gift.

Checkout: http://www.emulators.com/pentium4.htm

G

Boy does the guy who wrote that have an obsession with the word "idiot".

His customers: "idiots"
Anybody who can't get sound working in his emulator: "an idiot"

Whilst I have some respect for the article from a technical standpoint, having been involved with Macintosh Emulation for over 12 months it is very hard to take this guy seriously (if at all)

--
Michael Hendy

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Well, it sounds like either you have a bad temp readout (most likely a software issue) or insufficient transfer to your heatsink (you said you're using paste, did you remove the pad and properly clean the heatsink first, and then apply only a thin ammount of paste, and then make sure the heatsink was mounted correctly?)
BTW I think it is common for a CPU to reach close to max temp at boot-mine boots at 50C and then drops to 35C within 2 minutes of boot and then does not go over 50C even in 3D-mark 2000.

G

Another word of warning!

Checkout:http://pcworld.idg.com.au/pcw.nsf/news/3DD8A5976B7594D74A2569A6007F1461!OpenDocument