Perc Batteries needing charged........what problems can th..

We have a number of 2600 servers (90+) all about 2 years old.

We have experienced servers freezing and then reporting that the perc
batteries need reconditioned.

we have done this using fast software and the problems have stayed
away?

can the batteries cause this?

perhaps your perc cards have old firmware. newer firmware would
automatically switch the controller to writethru when a battery problem is
detected... without that i automatic change i would image having the
battery fail would behave like the raid controller failing, as if it was
just suddendly pulled from the system (aka, blue screen). you probably
should also replace the batteries.

i think you should look into the open manage software that came with your
systems or ask whoever it was that set them up how they intended to mange
them.

visit support .dell.com for the firmware updates and all documentation on
your systems.

"Mick Miller" <061268@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> We have a number of 2600 servers (90+) all about 2 years old.
>
> We have experienced servers freezing and then reporting that the perc
> batteries need reconditioned.
>
> we have done this using fast software and the problems have stayed
> away?
>
> can the batteries cause this?

I just remembered another thing about the pe2600 that should prove helpful
to you...
the dell logo on the front panel is normally blue, but changes to a
yellowish color when the system has a problem. a quick visual way to
determine which systems need attention.

"Mick Miller" <061268@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> We have a number of 2600 servers (90+) all about 2 years old.
>
> We have experienced servers freezing and then reporting that the perc
> batteries need reconditioned.
>
> we have done this using fast software and the problems have stayed
> away?
>
> can the batteries cause this?

Robert

PERC & FAST - Oh no.
You should treat the Dell patches & upgrades the same as Microsoft. Put
them through change control and implement at a suitable time.
Do a full backup.
Deinstall FAST
Upgrade Raid driver
Upgrade BIOS, ESM & PERC firmware
Install Array Manager.

If Dell OpenManage Server Administrator is installed update it as well.

Dell have been doing some proactive updates here in NZ using a set of 'snap'
CD's (three) which have the software on them.