Question Performance Drop After Upgrade

Deiske

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2014
I have just upgraded my RX580 to a 6700 XT and something that has happened is in some games I will get very bad stuttering. I'm also getting laggy responses outside of games as well. For instance when scrolling down a page it'll take a a second to buffer the input, like stutter.

My Specs are as follows:

Ryzen R7 5800X

AMD AM4 X570 ATX gaming motherboard

2x8GB Ram at 2400 MHZ

6700XT 12 GB

700W PSU

Win10

I have tried using AMD's display driver uninstaller and reinstalling the drivers but issue persists.

If you need any additional information I can provide it. Thank you for your assistance.

Deiske

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2014
I uninstalled my drivers with DDU. When I did that and restarted i noticed 0 stutters. One determining factor in testing this is when i move browser window between by two screens is very smooth. As soon as I download the AMD drivers using their software and restart, moving a window between the two monitors is extremely choppy/laggy and the stuttering in normal applications is back.

I have not been able to update my motherboard due to not having access to a flash drive at the moment.

Deiske

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2014
I found a post on another forum with a similar issue. This is with Hardware Acceleration in windows and other apps interacting with AMD Drivers. Once I disabled hardware acceleration my issues were gone. This has been a known issue for almost a year now I think, This should honestly be pinned for AMD GPU's.

For now I think the issue is "solved". But in reality this is AMD's fault and may never be fixed.

KyaraM

Admirable
2400 GHz RAM? That's awfully slow nowadays. Might lead to a bottlenecked CPU. Ryzen especially really want fast RAM. Iirc 3600 MHz was the sweet spot. It's possible that your CPU is restricted by the slow RAM and cannot deliver the performance it could, holding back the GPU as a result and causing stuttering because it cannot keep up. Can you download HWInfo and tell us what the CPU load is? If it comes anywhere close to 100%, there is an issue.