Performance gains from overclocking 8700k

jayleonis

Honorable
Nov 18, 2018
Have the 8700k. Thinking about learning to overclock. But I’m curious as to where I’d actually see improvement? I was looking up benchmarks and most of what I found was that over locking the cpu makes little difference in gaming. Which I don’t game so that doesn’t even matter. But where would I see speed increases on a daily basis with an over locked gpu?

Solution
Upgrading to a newer platform, that makes sense for what you are doing. Overclocking, maybe, maybe not, but if this is a work related device and there is any chance for that work related data to become corrupted, probably not the best idea unless the platform itself is not doing what it needs to do.

I'd just upgrade to a newer platform, cpu, motherboard and memory, and then see if maybe you want to put some money into other aspects of the machine rather than overclocking. There are excellent fans to buy that will lower noise levels, RGB and LED lighting options, very quiet CPU coolers. Lots of other things and lots of mods that can be done to keep the fun flowing without subjecting your data to corruption from overclocking.

Don't get...
Unless you are running demanding graphical, architectural, scientific or high end encoding/rendering applications, or gaming, you are unlikely to see any realistic benefit from overclocking. What are you running or using this system for if not gaming, or high end applications, that requires an 8700k?

Overclocking can provide some performance boost, but it depends on what you are trying to do with your computer. For gaming, the difference might be small as games tend to be more GPU limited, though you can see some improvement in heavily CPU bound titles, or if you have a massively overkill GPU for your monitor eg. running an RTX 2080Ti on a 1080p monitor.

For other tasks such as say rendering, overclocking can provide larger gains and can reduce rendering times by 15-20% depending on how far you get with your overclock. If you are just talking about basic web browsing and office stuff, then overclocking makes no real difference at all, the 8700k at stock speed is already way too much CPU for that kind of workload.

My point exactly. WAY overkill for that. Any i3 or Pentium can handle browsing or most office applications unless you are working with ginormous spreadsheets or something similarly demanding.

jayleonis

Honorable
Nov 18, 2018

use it mostly for work, day trading. im not sure that requires a ton of cpu power though. certainly overkill in any sense but I just wanted to upgrade to the latest tech. Im using the i7 2600k and 8gb ddr3 1600ram which i have no problems working on. I also upgraded to 16gb ram 3200mhz and the 1070ti which is waaay overkill as the only game i occasionally play is dota and i believe thats a non intense game for the gpu.

Was just thinking about overclocking for fun and curious if id actually notice any difference and where those gains would typically come.

Upgrading to a newer platform, that makes sense for what you are doing. Overclocking, maybe, maybe not, but if this is a work related device and there is any chance for that work related data to become corrupted, probably not the best idea unless the platform itself is not doing what it needs to do.

I'd just upgrade to a newer platform, cpu, motherboard and memory, and then see if maybe you want to put some money into other aspects of the machine rather than overclocking. There are excellent fans to buy that will lower noise levels, RGB and LED lighting options, very quiet CPU coolers. Lots of other things and lots of mods that can be done to keep the fun flowing without subjecting your data to corruption from overclocking.

Don't get me wrong, I'm an avid overclocker. I'm just not sure I'd do it with a mission critical machine.

Solution