Question performance issue and stuttering in (performance mode) and overheating

Sep 5, 2024
I got legion 5P 2020 ryzen 7 4800h rtx 2060

after getting it from the repair shop it so i re install everything and apply new good thermal paste and it started to cool down a bit but temps arent normal like getting 85-95c or sometimes worst it go like 95-110C ..... yea u heard that right altho the CPU rated to max out at 105C i saw it gets beyond that.

additionally performance mode stutters aloooot it wouldn't work properly only blance and silent mode does

i got to mention when i took it the cinabench 23 score when i bought it was like 11k+ in multicore now its 10k+

and i noticed that my cpu through afterburn keeping 4.3ghz locked and stuttering at 1.4ghz

so Im asking what is the cause and is there any fixing require?

Sep 5, 2024
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

You might want to see if your laptop is pending any BIOS updates. What thermal paste did you use to replace the one that came from the factory? Additionally, what sort of ambient room air temps are you experiencing? You can try and undervolt the GPU using this guide or their ilk.
the thermal paste is new and its from coolmaster so i think its not the issue and i did update it to the last bios update provided.

My canned response to laptop performance issues:
---------------------------
I see many complaints about gaming laptops not performing well.
Usually gaming while plugged in.
One common cause is thermal throttling.
Laptop coolers must, of necessity be small and light.
The coolers are also relatively underpowered.
If you run an app such as HWMonitor or HWinfo, you will get the current, minimum, and maximum cpu temperatures. Set to see each individual core.
For intel processors, if you see a max of 100c. in red, it means you have throttled.
I think the number for ryzen is more like 85c-90c.
The cpu will lower it's multiplier and power draw to protect itself until the situation reverses.
At a lower multiplier, your cpu usage may well be at 100%
What can you do?
First, see that your cooler airways are clear and that the cooler fan is spinning.
Use a windows balanced power profile, not the performance profile.
Set a minimum cpu performance to something like 20%

It is counter-intuitive, but, try changing the windows balanced power profile advanced functions to a max of 90% instead of the default of 100%
You may not notice the reduced cpu performance.