[SOLVED] Performance issue Lenovo IdeaPad S540 15IWL

Jan 3, 2021
Hello everyone,
I have a Lenovo IdeaPad S540 15IWL and have technical issues that didn't occur last year.
In January I bought an external monitor so I could play games on that and be more productive, there were no performance drops, I could play at 165Hz and FPS with it. But when I played the same game on my laptop with the same settings, it couldn't reach 40 FPS anymore. When I played on my monitor again, it was playing on 165 FPS again.
Does someone know what is wrong with my laptop, is it just faulty?
My laptop has the following hardware:
-Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-8265U CPU @ 1.60GHz
-8Gb DDR4
-SAMSUNG MZVLB256HBHQ-000L2
-Nvidia Geforce 1650 max-Q design

If it is faulty I can still return it, but that is kind of the last thing I would want to do.
Any advice could be of great help! I'll keep you updated!
Feel free to ask related questions, I am no Tech-pro, but I'll try!

Thanks everyone!

Solution
Your laptop has tow graphics processors and it might be using the Intel iGPU.
Open Nvidia Control Panel and select Manage 3D settings.
Under Preferred graphics processor, select either Auto-select or High performance Nvidia processor.
make sure to have the latest Intel and Nvidia graphic drivers.
Under Preferred graphics processor, select either Auto-select or High performance Nvidia processor.

Solution
Jan 3, 2021
Thanks! It really helped!

Last edited:
Feb 11, 2021
Freezing or performance issues - Windows 10
Use the following steps to clear the temp
  1. Press keys Win + R, type %temp% and click OK.
  2. Inside the temp folder, click on the first file, keep the SHIFT key pressed, click on the last file, then press the DELETE key to delete everything (or use Ctrl + A to select all the files). Note: Some files will not be deleted and an error will appear stating that they cannot be deleted. If this happens, just ignore these files.
Updating Windows drivers may also help. Go to the Start menu (Windows icon) -> Settings -> Update and Security -> Windows Update -> Check for updates. Click this option and install any updates that are found.