Build Advice Performance Issues after GPU Upgrade

Jun 15, 2024
Hello everyone, I recently upgraded from a AMD 6600xt to a NVIDIA 4070ti super. I've benchmarked the PC and played a couple of games but I've noticed a substantial drop in performance as well as increased lagging and tearing with the new GPU. All the drivers are up to date and the other specs are CPU: i7-10700kf, Mobo: ASRock z590 steel legend, RAM: Corsair Vengeance 32 GB. Can anyone help me solve this issue? Thanks

Ralston18

Titan
PSU: make, model, wattage, age, condition (original to build, new, used, refurbished)?

Disk drive(s): make, model, capacity, how full?

Take a look in Task Manager and Resource Monitor.

Use both tools but only one tool at a time. First watch the tool window while not gaming. Then, leaving the tool window open and observable, play a game where performance is known to drop.

See what, if anything, changes with respect to resource usage.

What games are being played? Source?

Jun 15, 2024
PSU: make, model, wattage, age, condition (original to build, new, used, refurbished)?

Disk drive(s): make, model, capacity, how full?

Take a look in Task Manager and Resource Monitor.

Use both tools but only one tool at a time. First watch the tool window while not gaming. Then, leaving the tool window open and observable, play a game where performance is known to drop.

See what, if anything, changes with respect to resource usage.

What games are being played? Source?
Corsair 1000x psu original to the build 4 years old. Disks Crucial p1 M.2(x2) 1 tb, 300 gb free each. Games played CS2, Helldivers 2, ESO, Valhiem, Forza 5 etc. At idle, cpu usage is around 17% and while ingame its constantly at 100%. GPU uses bounces from 1% to 95%

Ralston18

Titan
That Corsair 1000x PSU is a likely suspect.

May be at or nearing its designed in EOL (End of Life) especially with a history of heavy gaming use.

The new GPU may be pushing the PSU even more.

Any way to swap in another known working PSU?

Be sure to use only the cables that come with the swapped in PSU.

= = = =

And be very sure to immediately back up all important data at least 2 x to locations away from the system in question. Verify that the backups are recoverable and readable.

Even if the PSU proves not to be the problem anything amiss could cause data loss.....

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador
Doubt right now it is the psu, do make sure to use two cables (first connector each) to power the 4070 ti, don't use a pigtail.

Windows reset , well think if going that way reinstall would be better, can try DDU see if it finds anything AMD.

The cpu at 100% ingame could indeed say it is a bottleneck. Don't know what resolution you use?

Know what bios you use? Even "dxdiag " could say that or just check in the bios itself.