Performance Monitor LSC Memory

Tinibigz_1992

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2012
Hello,

I noticed in my performance monitor that I had a User Defined option:

LSC Memory

I don't understand how this could be here due to me being the only user with access to this PC.

Please advise if this should be removed?

Thank you

Solution
If it's the Windows memory diagnostic, it takes a long time if you have a lot of RAM. Hours for 8GB or more in extended.

Perhaps try memtest86 instead. I suggest you run it on 1 pass initially to see if it picks up any errors, and if none, try again at 4-8 passes, depending on how long 1 pass took, and how much patience you have. :)

There's little point in setting it for multiple passes if it's likely to find errors with 1 pass, so the first, single pass can save you time, and if there are errors, you know either there's something up with the RAM, or the RAM settings.

Tinibigz_1992

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2012
It is a Lenovo you are correct, do they put that in there?

I only ask because I wanted to remove it before I ran a Memory Diagnostic tool on extended to get a little more RAM out my system.

I don't know if the LSC will mess that test up but it was strange to see in there that's for sure.

Thank you for your help.

I doubt it would interfere with any other diagnostics. Most likely, it'll be for the solution centre to report to the user current RAM status, from via the solution centre tools.

Your system startup processes or services will include lsc.exe, and it's probably no problem to disable them (temporarily or permanently, depending on how much you need the solution centre).

Tinibigz_1992

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2012
Thank you for that info, I will remove it then run the test. Do you know much about running the Memory Diagnostic tool?

I ask because I ran it once but it seemed to get stuck at 21% for 3 hours and no movement. So I checked around and found that LSC info in the performance center.

Doing the memory test on extended is not common from what I understand so just making sure this won't hurt my system.

Thank you

If it's the Windows memory diagnostic, it takes a long time if you have a lot of RAM. Hours for 8GB or more in extended.

Perhaps try memtest86 instead. I suggest you run it on 1 pass initially to see if it picks up any errors, and if none, try again at 4-8 passes, depending on how long 1 pass took, and how much patience you have. :)

There's little point in setting it for multiple passes if it's likely to find errors with 1 pass, so the first, single pass can save you time, and if there are errors, you know either there's something up with the RAM, or the RAM settings.

Solution