Performance running future games

anastasiu.andrei.paul

Commendable
Aug 16, 2018
Hi guys,

I have received some new parts from a colleague.

Asus P7-?
I5 - 3.2 Ghz
8 GB DDR;
I will use my old GTX 750ti.

At the moment i am interested in the following games:

Monster Hunter World;
Hunt:Showdown.

Please note that i am not a hardcore gamer, more like a casual one. I do not mind playing on lower resolution - 720p

What do you guys think? Can i play without problems on 720p or even1080p with my current specs? Should i consider investing in a 970/1070 for the near future? Or maybe more RAM? Most probably new games in the future will fancy me (Red Dead Redemption 2 ahem) so i want to think long term...

Thanks in advance,
Andi

Solution

I have 8GB DDR3 and it's fine for the casual gamer, for now. 16GB is the standard...

I have 8GB DDR3 and it's fine for the casual gamer, for now. 16GB is the standard amount these days but your computer isn't from 'these days'.

I can only assume that's a 3470 i5. That's on the dilapidated fence line. While it's not an obsolete chip it certainly has been handed it's hat. I'd move up to nothing less than the 3770. The 3570 wouldn't be worth the investment. But this is where it gets a little murky. Do you invest hundreds in your CPU and GPU or do you instead buy into the current generation of PC parts. You can buy the 3770 and game for the next 2-3 years with the 1070 or even the 1060 6GB or without issue. This is for the casual gamer that doesn't mind not having their eyes and thumbs bleed when gaming.

OR You can sell off that PC and invest into a present day PC. BUT that would be advice for the semi-serious but not competitive gamer. You're painting yourself into a corner with the 3770. There isn't a CPU upgrade available after that. Then again the 3470 may be plenty for your needs.

In short you're fine with reduced settings at 720p and maybe 1080p depending on the game and its needs.

https://www.ccleaner.com/speccy can show us and you what's in that PC.
2018.png
You could also just C+P the summary page.

Solution

anastasiu.andrei.paul

Commendable
Aug 16, 2018

Hi,
I haven't bought Monster Hunter yet but i am playing Hunt Showdown (Early access and unoptimized) at 1080p just fine. I think i will upgrade to a gtx1060 or the upcoming gtx 1160/1660 this year and when i will buy a new pc in the future i will keep the GPU.
The current CPU is I5-2400 by the way. As you said, it's ok for the time being, but i reckon in 1 year it will become obsolete.

Thanks!