Performance with a 1440p monitor.

lukemurtagh1995

Commendable
Oct 7, 2017
Hello,

I have recently just upgraded my P.C. to a GTX 1080 and I am very happy with the performance. I am now looking to replace my 1920x1080p monitor. I am currently debating on whether or not I should get a 1440p monitor instead of another 1080p. I am worried if my CPU, which is older than my GTX 1080, will result in lower performance on a 1440p monitor. Will this new monitor result in a performance hit?

The monitor I am interested in is this:
https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computing/pc-monitors/pc-monitors/aoc-agon-ag271qg-quad-hd-27-led-gaming-monitor-10148778-pdt.html

And my specs are as follows:
EVGA GeForce GTX 1080
Intel Core i7-6700 CPU @ 3.40GHz
Ram: 16 GB.

Thanks!

Solution
The higher the resolution you go, the more the workload will be shifted from your CPU to your GPU. Your FPS *might* drop a tad but with G-Sync it'll be buttery smooth. If you do go with a new 1080p monitor, get one with a 144hz+ refresh and G-Sync. There are several excellent options out there. Dell makes a 240Hz model under their Alienware line and I do believe that ASUS makes one as well. Both are 25".

Dunlop0078

Titan
Ambassador
There will be less load on the CPU when at 1440p versus 1080p . Increasing the resolution pretty much only adds load to the GPU, this causes the GPU to spit out less frames, less frames means less draw calls for the CPU to calculate thus lower CPU usage at 1440p.

So yes I would go for a 1440p monitor with that system.

The higher the resolution you go, the more the workload will be shifted from your CPU to your GPU. Your FPS *might* drop a tad but with G-Sync it'll be buttery smooth. If you do go with a new 1080p monitor, get one with a 144hz+ refresh and G-Sync. There are several excellent options out there. Dell makes a 240Hz model under their Alienware line and I do believe that ASUS makes one as well. Both are 25".

Solution

lukemurtagh1995

Commendable
Oct 7, 2017
Thanks for the quick answers everyone. Certain games I play such as Total War: Rome 2 and SWTOR I can lose a few frames as I’m around 100 FPS on both of them right now. With newer games like Total War: Warhammer 2 and Assassin’s Creed Origins I’m on around 65 FPS now. So, if I understand you correctly, even if it drops by 5 to 10 frames it won’t really be noticeable?

That's the beauty of adaptive sync. You should be good to go. Remember that if you need additional frames, you can dial back your graphics settings a tad. Just because you can turn them all to high/ultra doesn't mean that you should because some of the details aren't as critical as others.

Dunlop0078

Titan
Ambassador

Every game you just listed other than SWTOR is very very CPU heavy. If I had to guess the performance difference between 1080p and 1440p will be very small in those games.