[SOLVED] Performance worse after GPU upgrade.

Jun 24, 2022
Hello all. I have I5 6600, RX 570 rn. I had GTX 1050 2gb before. In some games like Destiny 2, I was not getting fps drops on lowest setting with gtx 1050. But with rx 570, I am having drops and as i checked cpu is mostly %100. So I figured that I have cpu bottleneck. But how can it be worse then before?. For example in RDR2 my performance went up and I am able to play without stutters with higher graphic settings. Same as FIFA 21. Do you think it is because D2 is cpu heavy game?. But still it feels like stutters should not happen. And I am playing at 768p monitor with AMD vsr to 1080p. Would switching to real 1080p help?. Helps is appreciated.

PSU : CV550
RAM : 8X2 GB

Solution
Yes it is not 100 and mostly like 50-60s.
I have no problems of stutter on most other games i tried so far
Seems that the game is CPU heavy then, it can’t process game and feed GPU at same time enough, the other games are less heavy, I mean it makes sense D2 is a multiplayer game. You can upgrade to a 6700K for example, but I would only do it if you find a nice deal, otherwise not worth it for the relatively small bump in performance.

Post me which mainboard it is so I can check the list.
Jun 24, 2022
To be sure install DDU and do a complete clean of all drivers of Nvidia and AMD. Then restart and install the AMD driver back and report if anything improved.
I did it when i first got the card. First uninstalled nvidia drivers then did same for amd twice
I have my cpu to near 85C degrees while gaming. Do you think it would affect performance too?

KananX

Prominent
BANNED
Apr 11, 2022
I did it when i first got the card. First uninstalled nvidia drivers then did same for amd twice
I have my cpu to near 85C degrees while gaming. Do you think it would affect performance too?
Well, I think Destiny 2 is the problem then, and re reading what your wrote, I think your assessment of CPU bottleneck is probably true. I’m a bit surprised, but it seems to be true. Is your GPU usage also lower than 100% while the CPU is at 100%? This would prove it.

Jun 24, 2022
Well, I think Destiny 2 is the problem then, and re reading what your wrote, I think your assessment of CPU bottleneck is probably true. I’m a bit surprised, but it seems to be true. Is your GPU usage also lower than 100% while the CPU is at 100%? This would prove it.

KananX

Prominent
BANNED
Apr 11, 2022
Seems that the game is CPU heavy then, it can’t process game and feed GPU at same time enough, the other games are less heavy, I mean it makes sense D2 is a multiplayer game. You can upgrade to a 6700K for example, but I would only do it if you find a nice deal, otherwise not worth it for the relatively small bump in performance.

Reactions: Emir_kyz
Solution
Jun 24, 2022

Yea. I will try to adjust some game settings to make it less stuttery in the meantime. Probably will upgrade to new cpu and MOBO when i have money. I have cpu cooler in the way so I dont kill my cpu until I can upgrade. Thanks for the advices tho

KananX

Prominent
BANNED
Apr 11, 2022
Yea. I will try to adjust some game settings to make it less stuttery in the meantime. Probably will upgrade to new cpu and MOBO when i have money. I have cpu cooler in the way so I dont kill my cpu until I can upgrade. Thanks for the advices tho
No problem and don’t worry you can’t kill the CPU from normal usage alone, and it will throttle if it overheats.

Reactions: Emir_kyz
May 12, 2022
I had the exact same problem, I also did a post on it. I had an i7 6700k with a r9 390 and in Cs:Go I had no problems going 300+ fps. I upgraded my GPU to an rtx 3070 and I had even worse performance, had like 250fps, drops and stuttering and generally unsmooth gameplay. I couldn't believe it's because of the CPU. Yes, CPU bottleneck sure but I couldn't understand WORSE performance. Well, somebody on YT I came across mentioned that some newer GPUs scale worse with older CPUs. So I went ahead and upgraded my CPU and there ya go, buttersmooth since.

pcs1z

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2014
I had the exact same problem, I also did a post on it. I had an i7 6700k with a r9 390 and in Cs:Go I had no problems going 300+ fps. I upgraded my GPU to an rtx 3070 and I had even worse performance, had like 250fps, drops and stuttering and generally unsmooth gameplay. I couldn't believe it's because of the CPU. Yes, CPU bottleneck sure but I couldn't understand WORSE performance. Well, somebody on YT I came across mentioned that some newer GPUs scale worse with older CPUs. So I went ahead and upgraded my CPU and there ya go, buttersmooth since.
What CPU did you upgrade too? Peter Smith.