Peripherals light up but computer will not turn on

syxx222

Prominent
Jan 1, 2018
I came back to my room earlier this evening just in time to see my PC oddly shut down right in front of me. I hit the power button turn it back on and nothing happened. I checked all the cables from the motherboard to my PSU but nothing turned it on. I tested the PSU and the fan came on just fine with the paperclip test. Everything seems to be plugged in just fine connecting the PSU to the motherboard and the other components attached to the motherboard (USBs and such). The odd thing is that the light on my keyboard, mouse, and blutooth dongle all have SOLID LIGHTS as if the power is on. While performing the PSU test with the hard drive plugged into it, the hard drive gets power as well. So I'm at a loss on how to turn this thing back on. I've disconnected the video card, pulled out the ram, tried it with one stick of ram in (closest to the CPU), and pulling out the CMOS battery. I just find the whole thing odd because my peripherals are all getting power though they would never light up like this if my system was turned off. I also tried to turn on the computer with a screwdriver where the power button plugs in, but that did nothing.

I'm not ruling out the PSU being bad but unfortunately I have no other PSU to test. I'm no expert but I've used these forums in the past to fix problems, and have gone through several threads, however I didn't find anything similar to this issue where everything is lighting up. Also, I have no power indicator on my motherboard. I would have noticed it when I was having issues with my last video card. I suspect that it's a motherboard issue because the CPU fan does not seem to be getting power, but that's just a guess

Relevent specs

Motherboard ipm17-dd rev 1.04 ODENSE
Intel Core i5-6400
DDR3-1600 PC3-12800 MB/s
Ultra LSP650 650-Watt Power Supply

Solution

Then it becomes more problematic and a game of swapping out parts. It now becomes more likely the motherboard fried (but I wouldn't return the PSU yet as the previous one is low quality enough that it could have very well been the cause).

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
A sudden shutdown is most often temperature or power supply. PSU seems most likely given that you do have a fairly garbage-y one in there - without a second PC to test parts in, you're going to need to rule out the PSU one way or the other, most likely by obtaining another PSU. Lighting up some LEDs doesn't mean the PSU is fine, the power it needs to do that is essentially nothing when compared to running a CPU.

syxx222

Prominent
Jan 1, 2018
OK I'll get another PSU tomorrow morning. Just wondering though, why my mouse and keyboard would light up when technically my computer is shut off. Doesn't that seem unusual?

syxx222

Prominent
Jan 1, 2018
I tried a different brand new PSU and I was unable to turn it on. What should I try next?

I did the atx "trick" to short the green and black wires on my motherboard which got all the fans spinning at least (the cpu and the case fan) however the computer did not actually start up at all.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant

Then it becomes more problematic and a game of swapping out parts. It now becomes more likely the motherboard fried (but I wouldn't return the PSU yet as the previous one is low quality enough that it could have very well been the cause).

Solution
Oct 27, 2018
If you a have a semi-modulaur or full modular PSU , try unplugging the Periph1 connector and connect case fans or any other modules by different means (PWM 3-4 pin splitter). This happened to me with my EVGA 600BQ PSU, tried connecting 4 LED case fans via Periph1 connection and my PC wouldn't turn on except indicator lights. Unplugged the Periph1, connected fans via 4 pin molex and it turned on just fine.