Question Perplexing HDD issue

Dec 6, 2020
Here's one that's similar to other posts but it's not one I've found online anywhere, I've studied up and attempted many fixes. It has led me here in hopes of an answer.

I recently acquired 2 2tb seagate pipeline hard drives from 2 dish hoppers. They came from my friends mother who never set them up they sat in brand new boxes for a few years. So almost unused.

I have windows 7 64bit on my nostalgic gaming rig. It's an old dell dimension case with an hp leonite mobo 4gb ram Pentium D 3.0ghz

I have a seagate 1tb with my OS right now. Works fine. I was going to add one of the 2tb drives as a storage drive. Heres where it starts.

I was a computer tech for 13 years and am still a big time hobbyist. I didn't think this would be such an issue

I plug in the first drive boot up, drivers install, device needs to be initialized, I click ok for mbr, get an I/O error. I try gpt get another error, I realize it is recognizing 128gb unallocated, which I cannot format at all. So I check my bio, the bios sees 2000gb, maybe the drive is faulty or in failure? I booted my windows 7 installation disc, drive shows up as 128gb unallocated same issue.

Now I try the 2nd drive and literally go through the same steps excluding driver install and have the same issue.

Next I booted gparted and it sees an unknown 1.7tb partition. I deleted it and had 1.81tb free I formatted it to ntfs and gparted shows its all working fine. I was excited to see if windows will read it.

I boot back to windows and it's still 128gb unallocated... I checked for drivers its up to date, my OS has all the updates.

I booted to hirens older windows xpmini cd and it sees the drive as 1.81tb ntfs as I had formatted it in gparted live, it also still has the drive letter J: which I assigned it. So I ran a short and long smart check took forever both tests came back as passed, when I check it in the xp environment it has no issues, I can transfer files back and forth to my HDDs in the p.e. and they remain after rebooting, yet no matter what my windows 7 still sees 128gb unallocated.

I downloaded the 1.3gb win 10 based hirens cd and it sees the drive as the xp sees it, just fine. Puppy linux,, gparted, ubuntu all see it as a working drive and can utilize it yet my windows 7 64bit will not.

After extensive research and going through multiple forums I have found similar threads with 128gb unallocated but my drive(s) are practically new and neither make any noise or clicks during initial startup or use. My motherboard can clearly see it. I don't believe it is in a state of failure as it has worked for all the other boot options I've tried and all tests are passing without issue.

Please somebody help me figure this out.

Computer specs are
:Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit
:HP P5LP-LE Rev2.01 Leonite Mobo
:intel Pentium D930
:4×1gb PC2-5300 Samsung ram
:1x1tb seagate hdd
:HLdata DVD drive
:nvidia geforce gt710
:600w PSU

Can you show us how CrystalDiskInfo detects your drive?

Please include the full 512-byte Identify Device info block (Edit -> Copy Option, File -> Save (text)).

Note that some DVR HDDs are configured to Power Up In Standby (PUIS). Linux will spin up such drives, but Windows may not. You can use a tool such as HDAT2 to disable PUIS.