[SOLVED] Persistent BSOD DPC Watchdog Violation

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

leo.schumacher37

Prominent
Sep 18, 2019
MSI PS63 8RC
32GB RAM
Intel i7-8565U
Win 10 1903

Was having persistent BSOD issue. Took it into store from which unit was purchased. They reinstalled Windows however that didn't fix the problem, so I was given a new unit under warranty, however this does the same. This leads me to suspect a software issue as the issue is encountered with both units, however Reliability History says it's a hardware issue. I've tried to go through the dump files and it would appear to be an issue with the USB eXtensible Host Controller (USBXHCI.sys). I disabled the controller in Device Manager but this hasn't helped.

Windows would appear to have deleted the minidumps?? They were there before.... I was running them through windbg. I'll attach the minidumps created next time the system blue screens before they... erm... vanish I guess.

Would appreciate if anyone could assist. @Colif @gardenman

Thanks

Solution
Hey all
Thanks for all your help in resolving the issue :) looks like it's finally running smoothly.
Found ASMedia XHCI drivers (unsure if latest or older) and after replacing whichever driver it was running previously, I'm yet to encounter a bluescreen in a couple days of use (hope I'm not jumping the gun in calling the issue resolved lol).
Obviously it was incompatible with the driver for the sound card for whatever reason. Real ah heck that win updates didn't update this ASMedia driver.
Again, thanks for all the help :) would still be scratching my head if it weren't for you guys helping to unearth the fault.
Thanks
Leo

Colif

Win 11 Master
its odd that the bluescreenviewer errors all show Nvidia and yet the dump files appear to blame that audio device

1st one error stack is full of mentions of USB functions, nika6usb+0xa6aa is mentioned. no other drivers I can see
2nd is almost a carbon copy of 1st one.

gpu is a 1060 right? some of those have USB type c connectors... I am just thinking, both errors mention USBXHCI which can be used for usb type c. wondering if its the GPU conflicting with the audio device. It appears you don't have type c on laptop... I believe Nvidia drivers still support the controller on chip even if you don't have the port.

http://servicedefaults.com/10/ucx01000/ is in stack, its associated with USB
http://servicedefaults.com/10/usbxhci/
hal.dll - hardware abstraction layer - barrier between windows and hardware.

try running this and show me the resulting file - https://www.sysnative.com/forums/pages/bsodcollectionapp/

Colif

Win 11 Master
I will look at that link shortly, but I might see if I can get attention of @axe0axe0 who normally can read dump files and the output of that file easier than I can, I am just not sure if he is around or not. I haven't seen him recently.

we can tell most caused by the sound drivers but I am unsure if it is tied into USB C or not. I can see some GTX 1050 have Type C, I just don't know if the type C in your laptop is connected to GPU or motherboard. Is that the connection you are actually using?

leo.schumacher37

Prominent
Sep 18, 2019
No, it's not the port I'm using. I'll try to establish which ports connect to the graphics card... I suppose there could be merit in double checking whether the problem occurs when connected to a mobo port, but I'm sure I've tested all ports. Maybe if I disable the graphic card completely and just use integrated and see if there are any problems?
I'll let you know what happens
Thanks

leo.schumacher37

Prominent
Sep 18, 2019
Intel XHCI seems to take care of the type c and one 3.0
ASMedia XHCI taking care of the other two 3.0 ports I have (normally use one of those for sound card). I take it this is the one going to the gpu??

Why are you two talking about January 2019 Nvidia Drivers? Are you talking about the latest GPU drivers for your 1050?

You download the latest NOVEMBER 2019 drivers.

And the 2 kind of RAM in that laptop COULD be the cause of the problem. If you did not have the problem before adding more RAM then it is probably the problem or the fact that you're using January 2019 drivers doesn't help either.

• Update to the latest GPU drivers. November 2019.
This need to be done. Troubleshooting is an elimination process.

Last edited:

Colif

Win 11 Master
Intel XHCI seems to take care of the type c and one 3.0
ASMedia XHCI taking care of the other two 3.0 ports I have (normally use one of those for sound card). I take it this is the one going to the gpu??

I was just about to say that. I found it in Sys info as I can see your sysinfo screen via that file you uploaded. I wonder where windows is getting the Asmedia USB drivers from.

lots of application crashes for nahimic, I know its the sound drivers used on MSI laptops.

You can do what above suggests if you want.

leo.schumacher37

Prominent
Sep 18, 2019
Why are you two talking about January 2019 Nvidia Drivers? Are you talking about the latest GPU drivers for your 1050?

You download the latest NOVEMBER 2019 drivers.

And the 2 kind of RAM in that laptop COULD be the cause of the problem. If you did not have the problem before adding more RAM then it is probably the problem or the fact that you're using January 2019 drivers doesn't help either.

• Update to the latest GPU drivers. November 2019.
This need to be done. Troubleshooting is an elimination process.
1050 isn't the same as 1050 Max-Q... is it? Latest Max-Q drivers I've been able to find anywhere, including manufacturer's website, is 1/19...

leo.schumacher37

Prominent
Sep 18, 2019
I was just about to say that. I found it in Sys info as I can see your sysinfo screen via that file you uploaded. I wonder where windows is getting the Asmedia USB drivers from.

lots of application crashes for nahimic, I know its the sound drivers used on MSI laptops.

You can do what above suggests if you want.
Nahimic's a pain... believe I have it disabled but evidently not... it just runs in background so I wasn't aware of crashes. I'll look to see if I can uninstall it.

leo.schumacher37

Prominent
Sep 18, 2019
All the 1050 use the same drivers. The Nvidia Drivers from the official website. You do not use the Max-Q drivers. This isn't a motherboard. It's a GPU.
Oh really? I'll download latest and lyk how it goes. I'm skeptical it'll actually solve the problem though since it was just the manufacturers of my sound card that have blamed nvidia - not Colif or anyone here.
Thanks

Oh really? I'll download latest and lyk how it goes. I'm skeptical it'll actually solve the problem though since it was just the manufacturers of my sound card that have blamed nvidia - not Colif or anyone here.
Thanks

Here is where you should get all your drivers.

GPU - Nvidia website or AMD website depending on the card you use.
MOTHERBOARD - The manufacturer. MSI board -> MSI website etc.
SOUND DRIVERS - I'm using Realtek so I download the drivers on Realtek website.

Don't be skeptical. It could literally fix your problem. Don't forget to try removing the RAM you added since this could be the cause.

leo.schumacher37

Prominent
Sep 18, 2019
Here is where you should get all your drivers.

GPU - Nvidia website or AMD website depending on the card you use.
MOTHERBOARD - The manufacturer. MSI board -> MSI website etc.
SOUND DRIVERS - I'm using Realtek so I download the drivers on Realtek website.

Don't be skeptical. It could literally fix your problem. Don't forget to try removing the RAM you added since this could be the cause.
Installing nov nvidia drivers rn. Will lyk
Yeah, I got the shop I bought the unit from to install the extra ram, so I've never used it without the upgrade. I'm 80% sure they took it out and tested stock when I gave them the laptop for repair, and then gave me a new unit when I got the replacement laptop.... if nothing else works, I'll take it out and give it a go though
Thanks

leo.schumacher37

Prominent
Sep 18, 2019
Hey guys,
I've actually been smooth sailing for about a day with the ASMedia xhci disabled, just rocking with the single usb port that seems to be handled by the cpu (no bsods). Oddly, this is on the side of the laptop with the HDMI port and usb c etc which lead me to believe that this was the side taken by the gpu, but it would appear this isn't the case(?)
Found a guy who did a teardown of this unit and it indeed looks like the working port is on the cpu side and two faulty ones (asmedia) on gpu side.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1w-4yBQpZ3iQCbmNKKXon5IDQKc_ar30X/view?usp=sharing
working ports on the right of the frame with this orientation. looks like cpu is on that side too and gpu on the left, lower down, but I am a bit of a noob when it comes to laptop components so maybe someone could confirm.
Updated nvidia drivers as above. Still experiencing bsod with sound card plugged into ports on the right of the unit (left of the frame in the teardown). If I keep running stable with the unit plugged into the other port I suppose it's a workaround even if it is inconvenient and doesn't tackle the actual problem... funny cos I could have sworn I'd tested all ports... also that I never had an ASMedia and an intel xhci, only one which took care of everything. Perhaps this was with the unit before it was replaced or something, and because they were all controlled by the same controller, all ports would cause the crash... maybe win update/nvidia driver update separated the two... or maybe im dreaming
Will keep you posted
Thanks

leo.schumacher37

Prominent
Sep 18, 2019
Hey all
Thanks for all your help in resolving the issue :) looks like it's finally running smoothly.
Found ASMedia XHCI drivers (unsure if latest or older) and after replacing whichever driver it was running previously, I'm yet to encounter a bluescreen in a couple days of use (hope I'm not jumping the gun in calling the issue resolved lol).
Obviously it was incompatible with the driver for the sound card for whatever reason. Real ah heck that win updates didn't update this ASMedia driver.
Again, thanks for all the help :) would still be scratching my head if it weren't for you guys helping to unearth the fault.
Thanks
Leo

Solution

TRENDING THREADS