PETA Invading WoW to Stop Baby Seal Slaughter

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

solymnar

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2006
Examples entail:

PETA has asked that Spearfish High School in Spearfish, South Dakota change its name to “Sea Kitten High School.” A PETA spokesman says its part of a new campaign aimed at kids, theorizing that the “kinder, gentler name of sea kitten will help them see fish as individuals that do have friendships, resulting in fewer fish being killed for food or sport.”

Or

Comments made by PETA about CoD
"Not since we were pitted against Nazi attack dogs when we first escaped from 17 years ago have we seen such barbaric treatment of dogs in video games as we did in Call of Duty, World at War.

With a little Nintendogs influence, perhaps the next Call of Duty game will have you unlock achievements for petting the dogs you encounter and going on walks or playing Frisbee with them."

Then there was the effort they made to try to get Ben & Jerry's to make ice cream only from human breast milk...

In regards to the comment on how they handle pet adoption...they don't.

"According to a just released report by the Center for Consumer Freedom, the folks who tell us that meat is murder, suggest breast milk for our ice cream and target schoolchildren with their anti-circus campaign, killed 95% of the adoptable pets – for an average of 5.8 pets per day – at their Norfolk, Virginia headquarters in 2008.

The Virginia Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services reported that 2,124 dogs and cats were destroyed last year compared to seven (seven!) that were placed in adoptive homes.

Since 1998, the numbers of pets that have died at the hands of these kind, compassionate animal lovers totals more than 21,000.

Despite a $32 million annual budget, PETA does not operate a single adoption center, nor is there a departmental arm that seeks to find homes for the thousands of pets they murder each year.

I’m guessing naked B-list celebrities, anti-Thanksgiving cartoons and chicken suits for the KFC protests aren’t as cheap as they once were.

Last year, the Center for Consumer Freedom petitioned Virginia’s State Veterinarian to reclassify the PETA Headquarters as a slaughterhouse."

iron-e

Distinguished
May 2, 2008
[citation][nom]Canuckian[/nom]How about this "excuse" then, if the seal population isnt kept in control they decimate the fish population, and crowd out any other living thing in the area.I always love how they show baby seals with big black eyes whenever seal hunting is brought up but never tell anyone that hunting the baby / young seals is completely against the law. Why dont they show the big fat black honking things that are actually killed during the hunt, but that wouldnt fit into PETAs little agenda very well now would it.[/citation]

Did seals murder your family or something?

If they decimate the fish population, don't they starve and their numbers decrease thereby allowing the fish numbers to naturally increase?- balance of nature 101.

People want the seal skins and the fish. People are the greedy ones not the 'big fat honking seals'.

Again, not a tree-hugger. I'm fine with hunting, but I don't see much sport in walking up to an animal and smacking it with a club just because you don't want to mess up it's fur because you want to make your lady friend a coat that will get you a bj.

solymnar

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2006
Iron.

Currently to my knowledge no one in my family nor my wife's family owns anything made of real fur. In fact I haven't seen a person wearing real fur in the cities for years now.

While I'd never suggest that the market is completely dead it certainly isn't at the point where anyone rational would expect to somehow impress a women into having sex with you by giving them a fur item. Of course...you might be surrounded by sex crazed fur craving women? /shrug

The current real problem causing sealing to take place is that many people working fisheries have no other source of income during off-season. They make a tiny fraction of the money they do from fishing (not surprising considering the near dead fashion market for fur), but its considered better than nothing by many and fits along with their lifestyle etc.

So a REAL solution would be to provide something useful and economically advantageous for the people working these fisheries during the off season.

Pointing fingers is pretty easy. Coming up with practical solutions is not.

G

These are the same fish we all eat, if the seals killed them all off no more fish for us to eat, oops. Again, if they're allowed to grow to the numbers you suggest they also crowd out and kill any other living thing animal in the area as well. Its the same as when hunters go out to cull fox or wolf population because they overrun everything if they dont.

Its not some big round blunt club, they use a Hakapik, a tool that both the American veterinary scientists and the Canadian Medical Veterinary Association both claim after doing studies and watching hunts as a humane way to kill a seal.

See its this kind of bullshit that gets spread around by people that dont know what they're talking about that pisses me off. Which btw they also carry and use rifles but dont like to because they might wound without killing the seal and then it flees into the water to die a slow painful death, yea thats much better than a precision strike to the head.

I dont see much sport in shooting an animal from 500m away with a rifle either, get a bow and arrow and be a real man.

God, I hate PETA.

Call me conservative, but as a Canadian, I support the seal hunt. The Natives deserve the right to make a living.

If PETA can come up with another economic generator in place of the seal hunt, then I'm all for it. But if we propose that we end the seal hunt with mine exploration up north, then they balk again.

There exists no way to please PETA. Hypocritic morons.

julienjj

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2009
@ peta they should read a bit before following Denise Bombardier, in canada baby seal hunting is PROHIBITED since 25 years, only the older than 1 year could be hunted

hemelskonijn

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2008
I have nothing against seal hunts or any kind of hunting (please dont make me hunt though) but killing seals with clubs even though some overpaid dudes in suits say its humane is just a no go in my book.

BTW do you guys realize that "humane killing" would be killing humans ? ... if its not human you cant really kill it like it would be a human :S

julienjj

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2009
@ peta they should read a bit before following Denise Bombardier, in canada baby seal hunting is PROHIBITED since 25 years, only the older than 1 year could be hunted

righteous fury

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2009
wouldn't it just be hilarious if Blizzard, in their divine-like wisdom, decided to make this server pvp for just this day? ah, why hunt a seal when you can have PETA for dinner?... DELICIOUS!!!

solymnar

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2006
[citation][nom]eddieroolz[/nom]Hypocritic morons.[/citation]

That about sums PETA up. They walked into an agricultural biology class of my wife's one day about 5 years ago and tried to tell the students about the inhumane practices going on at all the farms in the surrounding area. They then went on to show a video displaying some pretty brutal stuff.

Many people in the audience were visibly upset...AT PETA.

Why? A fair number the students in that class happened to come from or work on farms in the surrounding area and were PISSED at how grossly misrepresented things were.

And it turned out that of all PETA members at the class talking about how evil farms, none of them had actually been to a real farm. Additionally they had no idea when or where the scenes displayed on the video took place.

Its amazing what a little emotion combined with smoke and mirrors can do.

Mr. T pities the fool that believes PETA.

kingssman

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2006
Wow, a non PVP server... Lame... Just a bunch of blues walking around clubbing neutrals.

Besides there already is a PITA group in Borean Tundra with a "save the animals" quest chain

This even should have been on a PVP server and named it "save the seals!" and made it a goal to use the "critter bites" to lure the seals into safety of their capital city while combatting any enemy players that are trying to kill off your lured creatures. Then screen cap, frap, your city being populated by lots of animals

NuclearShadow

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2007
I assume whats really going to happen is they are going to put on a play. The seals will be in danger and then the players will accept duels from those involved in the play and purposefully lose.

But what if this goes horribly wrong and the audience just starts slaughtering the seals? There is no doubt that people will mess this up just like the WoW funeral. I know I would if I played WoW.

ta152h

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2009
It's funny reading all these comments about how far off PETA is, and how misaligned their efforts are, when everyone who posts here is now aware of the horrible slaughter of seals. Post all you want, it's part of the irony of how effective it is.

So was that crazy commercial that couldn't be shown. They didn't have to pay for the advertising, and they got a ton of notoriety for it, and attention.

They want you to know about these abuses, and when you do, they can use it to badger (no pun intended) entities that are cruel to animals. The WoW stuff is pretty cheap to do, isn't it? And, it got a post on Tom's, and probably other places, and got how many readers? And how many more people know about this issue now.

Weird or not, it worked. I don't see a connection between WoW and seals, but I do see that they bring up issues, and get attention for them. Often times at little cost.

The end result is, they have had a material impact on the treatment of animals in many situations. It's an irony, we spend so much effort in seeking life on other heavenly bodies, yet show so little respect for life on Earth. Isn't life a miracle anywhere we find it? And yes, like any animal, we can defend ourselves against other life that endangers us, but that's not all that happens here.

WheelsOfConfusion

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2008
ta152h, I'm not going to say that PETA hasn't accomplished anything worthwhile. I'm saying that their methods are often ridiculous and fraudulent, both of which discredit more sane animal rights groups. I think PETA does more harm than good the way they go about things.

n3ard3ath

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2008
[citation][nom]iron-e[/nom]Did seals murder your family or something? If they decimate the fish population, don't they starve and their numbers decrease thereby allowing the fish numbers to naturally increase?- balance of nature 101. People want the seal skins and the fish. People are the greedy ones not the 'big fat honking seals'. Again, not a tree-hugger. I'm fine with hunting, but I don't see much sport in walking up to an animal and smacking it with a club just because you don't want to mess up it's fur because you want to make your lady friend a coat that will get you a bj.[/citation]

Don't loose your time posting about animal protection here, it's clear this website is over-visited by an audience with an inflated self-righteousness. The lack of any maturity or compation in those people is clear, and they'll even give you a bunch of -1, like they'll do with me, just cause you dared mensionning the cruality those animals suffer. Some say PETA is a joke, it can, does'nt mean the actual belief they prone about the respect of animals or nature is flawed. Seals are the main food source of sharks, and sharks in the pacific ocean are actually suffering decimation cause of the asian shark wings market. Which is probably one of the main link between any over-population of seals there may be, that's what I call breaking the natures balance. Killing baby seals is'nt an excuse to supposedly rebalance it. Everywhere you go so see fucking morons saying uneducated garbage as if whatever junk coming out of their mouths were the ultimate truth.

n3ard3ath

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2008
I don't see any problems in proper adult seal hunting for food from the North Canadian Natives by the way. Killing baby seals with sticks for fur is another thing, but as julienjj stated, I think it's now prohibited here.

Status
Not open for further replies.