PGA988 socket processor recommendation

wewum

Reputable
Aug 30, 2014
I have an old laptop and I need to upgrade the processor. It is a pentium p6200 and I need a processor upgrade recommendation. Please keep as cheap as possible but not to cheap that I won't notice the upgrade.

wewum

Reputable
Aug 30, 2014

How do you check if your mobo supports them and what does soldered mean?

Run Speccy and gather info about your motherboard and then check on-line for CPU support list . Or ask the manufacturer by email or user manual . Soldered means that , if so , you will not be able to change the CPU easily . Btw, all i3 and i5 that i posted has the same TDP -35W like your CPU so 99% the mobo will support them .

The cpu does not have a soldered version so this is nothing to worry about. Bga is soldered not pga. There are multiple PGA988 sockets which are not compatible with each other. To be specific you want socket G1 (or 988A) which covers nehalem and westmere mobile cpus. But just because the cpu is the same socket (or tdp) does not mean it will work with the mobo. This is where the cpu support list will come in at but unfortunately you really won't find any cpu support lists for any laptops. You can try contacting the manufacturer but usually that is futile as well. When upgrading laptop cpus, usually you take a leap of faith but you can try to google if others have already done it or see what cpus were available as options (careful not to mix up models.) Also keep in mind you don't want a cpu that has a higher tdp because your power brick will not support more power and the laptop was designed to cool that cpu that came with it, not a higher power one. http://www.cpu-world.com/Sockets/Socket%20G1%20(rPGA988A).html You might also have issues even finding cpus. Laptop cpus are not sold like desktop cpus so pretty much ebay or similar is the only place to look.