Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ATX Tempered Glass Mid-Tower Case Review

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

detroitwillfall

Reputable
Sep 27, 2014

should i get 1 meter LED strip or get 2 of them? i cant imagine needing more then 1

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Isn't that like asking me whether you should get the Silver, Anthracite Grey, or Black version?

detroitwillfall

Reputable
Sep 27, 2014

well with a case im not discerning various form factors or builds and the only point of reference for debate could be color whereas with the LED's i was hoping someone else would have more knowledge then me so i dont end up with too much spaghetti in the case lol

simplifii

Commendable
Apr 23, 2016
Sad day...I literally just purchased the standard Evolv last week and swapped my build over to it last night. :(
i got the older model last week as well luckily i exchanged my z170-a for z170s so i never had a chance to take it out of the box.

Neurodrive

Reputable
Dec 30, 2014

It is what it is. I'd love the tempered glass and the leds, but I wasn't pumped about having the cable management exposed behind the motherboard. And on that note, either I suck or the cable management isn't as great as it's toted to be. I was expecting a bit more room to work with depthwise.

Still a great case overall though!

MR B0CEPHUS

Commendable
Feb 26, 2016
Nice. I like it. It reminds me of mechwarrior armor from an anime. Kind of expensive, but if I had the money I would totally buy it.

Subsonicbassist

Commendable
Mar 17, 2016
Wondering how to set this case up to have slightly positive air pressure... gonna have 3x120 fans in the front for intake, a 2x140 AIO cooler or 3x120 fans on the top and a 140mm on the back for exhaust. The bottom of the case only has room for a PSU exhaust port... should I switch the back 140mm fan to intake?

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
The bottom has a power supply INTAKE. Normal power supplies exhaust out the back regardless of fan location.

You could use the rear fan as an intake and buy a snap-on filter...

DocDon

Reputable
May 15, 2016
Pretty case! I just wish they had a version of this with an external 5.25" drive bay - need that. And I wish it ran quieter, like my Antec P18x series cases which are just about silent.

Samishii

Commendable
May 23, 2016
Well, they don't have that product anymore but would not a Phanteks Enthoo Pro M Black Acrylic be a better choice ? It the same thing, one glass less but like 100$ less pricy.

DocDon

Reputable
May 15, 2016

Thanks for your comment, but it is the architectural aesthetic of the glass on both case sides which is attractive. Some people (artists in particular) like aesthetic industrial design.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I know, damn short sited of them to build such a high-quality case without at least 10.7" of motherboard space and an eighth slot. Oh, those would have made it XL-ATX. That would be good too :)

Here here. His reply was a mess. First his motherboard is an E-ATX board and his case that "fits it" doesn't actually fit an E-ATX board. The Fractal XL does but not the R3. Personally I wish for the opposite, that micro ATX gets a lot more focus as these days I never need more than two PCIE slots and I'm sure that is the case(pun intended) for the vast majority of people.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
His motherboard isn't E-ATX. Asus lied. In tower orientation, his board has XL-ATX depth and ATX height.

The problem for manufacturers of oversized boards is that they usually fit BOTH E-ATX (7-slot, 13" deep) and XL-ATX (8-slot, 10.7" deep) cases. If they call them XL-ATX (which is smaller, but taller), they're telling users that these wont' fit EATX cases: But they do. If the manufacturer instead calls it EATX, they're telling users that these won't fit XL-ATX cases: But they also do.

This caused quiet a stir with the German test lab. One tester REFUSED to use the XL-ATX "standard case" for the lab's cooling test mule because "it's not EATX", even though the motherboard in question wasn't either. The board we agreed to use was labeled EATX, but was only 10.6" deep. XL-ATX sized, minus the extra slot. No arguing of facts could push past his arguments of semantics.

Cute. I obviously haven't paid close attention to oversized motherboards.

Arch_Angelos

Commendable
Aug 9, 2016
You guys need to review the In Win 805 ASAP, I'm getting Evo ATX Glass or In Win 805 soon and I would like to know which has the better design when it comes to cooling before I buy.

Status
Not open for further replies.