Phanteks Enthoo Evolv Shift Case Review

Status
Not open for further replies.
Every Phanteks case before the Shift has been a "game changer" with great looks, outstanding cooling options, good looks and lower than expected pricing forcing the market that had be stagnant for years, to incorporate new and better ideas. This is a break from that run. It's the first case from Phanteks that I wasn't anxious to get my hand on.

madmurdock0311

Prominent
Sep 19, 2017
I had planned on purchasing this case for my itx build, but, with no solid release date set, I went with the Fractal Design Node. After reading this review, I'm kind of glad I didn't wait. I'm not impressed with the thermal or noise results. Form over function here, I guess.

Sep 19, 2017
Newegg is taking preorders and showing a ship date of the 26th of September.

My only question is radiator support in the smaller Shift. Product specifications state it can hold 2 120mm rads/AIOs. But can it hold 1 240mm rad or AIO?

motanel05

Prominent
Sep 19, 2017
Two enclosures for the same type of motherboards. I wish such a casing for mATX motherboards. Maybe designers are thinking and from such a model.

tkline

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2016
I’ve been waiting for this case for a while, I really love the clean look. Don’t care about heat, I’m not gonna overclock anything. But I can see why that might be an issue for some. I am planning to use this as a HTPC for gaming in the living room. I kinda wish they had a cheaper no-glass version.. I kinda feel like for me anyway, I don’t care about the insides since it’s going on my TV rack where you wouldn’t be able to see it anyway. I also want to lay it flat on it’s side, and I worry the right side / bottom side glass panel is just wasted even more than the other side. Overall though, I still like the look either way. Can’t wait to start my new build. I think I may wait another month or so though and see about getting a coffee lake CPU.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff

You're right, I really like the Evolv ITX :D

thundervore

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2011

I agree with this!
Im waiting on a ITX version of the Phanteks Enthoo Evolv https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E16811854058 and hoping it will be the Evolv ITX just smaller to utilize SFX power supplies and new tempered glass doors ON HINGES with magnets (because 4 thumbscrews suck!).

The shift just doesn't do anything for me at all.

Khimera2000

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
Intresting to see the case finally previewed on the site. Any chance of doing a review with an AIO because all the videos I have seen use an AIO for the build, even there Electronic Show official reveal had an AIO. I'd like to see how air would compare to the AIO setup I've seen used everywhere else.

Without that it's just pointing out the obvious... A case built for closed loop coolers performs horrible with open air.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Nah, I don't know why this one did unless he thought it didn't compare directly to anything due to it's design. My last case review didn't have an award, and my upcoming motherboard review doesn't either.

It could be just you. It could have been just you and the writer of this review, since he hasn't withheld any recognition since May. However, he's only submitted two reviews since May...so unless you're only reading his reviews...it's just you :D

andre.miotti

Prominent
Oct 1, 2017
Why test the case with a CPU air cooler while phanteks clearly says it was designed with AIO water cooler in mind.

andre.miotti

Prominent
Oct 1, 2017

Well, phanteks website says it can hold two 120mm radiators, one a bottom and one at side so you can fit a radiator for CPU and one for GPU, but I would rather just fit a VGA with blower fan, water-cooled VGAs are just overpriced/out of my budget...

Status
Not open for further replies.