Question Phanteks P400 & airflow

mel21

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2012
So i bought the case cause i really like the way it looks but sadly apparently the airflow is bad?

I havent built my PC theyre still in my old case NZXT Phantom Full Tower ive had all the fans on this case running on low/silent profile and never had any heating issues ever b/c i have my AC running at night 71F/21C when i play games and i always clean my pc every 2 weeks just blowing out the dust that accumilates whenever.

The NZXT case has the front panel closed with a small mesh on the bottom and no front panel FANS just 2 80mm side fans on my side panel that blows on my HDD and a 140mm fan on top that blows air on my mobo/cpu/gpu
And an intake rear fan? Its how the fans were setup when i bought this case and never touched it just put the fans on silent/low profile. NEVER once had any heating issue where my cpu/gpu hit 70C or up or my PC shutting down due to overheating.

Anyways I am gonna add 2x120mm fans in front as intake? And have the rear fan taking out the air in the back. How bad is the airflow? Thats only 3 fans on the case + my CPU Cooler hyper 212

The CPU airflow is hitting the front panel should i reverse this so the air goes in the back too?

I keep my room very cold with my A/C at 71F/21C running for about 2hours at night before I get on my PC either to just do work or game for about 2-3hours. I shouldnt have any problems with temps right? And it will be winter soon and I control my room heater i just use a portable heater so I have control how cold my gaming room is.

My cpu temp on idle is at 28c
While browsing & watching twitch/Youtube hits about 31c depending how many streams i have open
Gaming from MSI Burner highest it has gone was 54c

GPU is at 34c on idle
While browsing or watching twitch/YouTube hits about 36c
Fans doesnt really turn on unless im gaming for a while
And from MSI Burner highest temp was at 58c

Thats how cold my room is when im gaming lol i dont know how people can game without an AC running i hate the heat so i guess its just me.

My specs

I7-6700K (not overclocked since I dont really care much to oc anything)
Hyper 212 Evo (the latest ones they released with easier installation)
Asrock z170 Pro4
8gb RAM
1080 FTW 8gb (Again not oc’d)
Corsair CX 750watt PSU 80+

Last edited:

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
While airflow in the P400 isn't particularly phenomenal, I have built with it, and the temperatures were not horrible at all.

Of course, it's not going to rival a case with a full mesh panel etc... but I wouldn't anticipate it performing more than a couple of degrees worse than the NZXT Phantom.

mel21

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2012
While airflow in the P400 isn't particularly phenomenal, I have built with it, and the temperatures were not horrible at all.

Of course, it's not going to rival a case with a full mesh panel etc... but I wouldn't anticipate it performing more than a couple of degrees worse than the NZXT Phantom.

I am looking into getting the mesh front panel though not sold in US But overclockers UK has it in stock

Would that make a big difference? And should i leave the front fans as intake still if i do get the mesh front panel?

Thanks

mel21

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2012
Yeah thats the one being sold on overclockers UK white p400A front mesh panel

Was expecting a big difference but yea its decent.

Anyways i might just keep it as it is for now and see how it goes
Does keeping my room cold will help the temps? Like ive mentioned above my room is always cold during the time i use my PC and should i have the front fans and my CPU fan as intake? So the rear fan exhaust all the hot air out? And should i add another fan on top? I could reuse the 140mm fan on my old case and add it on the phanteks. I’ll be adding the phanteks Fan hub so I pretty much have control to all 4 fans the 3 fans im getting is the upHere PWM 120mm fans

upHere Blue Computer Case Fan 120mm LED Silent Fan for Computer Cases,PWM Fans,CPU Coolers, and Radiators Ultra Quiet, Premium Edition,4 Pin 3 Pack/B12CM4-3 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07JMPXKK1/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_Mc8MDbYAVX4H7

Last edited:

RainingTacco

Prominent
Sep 21, 2019
I wouldn't bother with keeping your room cold just to cool down your PC. I dont know where you live and what are ambient temps outside right now, but too much difference and you can catch cold. I doubt that the difference of 4*C degrees on CPU/GPU is worth dropping room temperature from 21 to 17 for example ;)

mel21

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2012
I wouldn't bother with keeping your room cold just to cool down your PC. I dont know where you live and what are ambient temps outside right now, but too much difference and you can catch cold. I doubt that the difference of 4*C degrees on CPU/GPU is worth dropping room temperature from 21 to 17 for example ;)

I dont use the AC to cool down my pc i just prefer my room cold when im gaming especially in the summer it gets really humid in NY.

And I have a medical issue/problem with my hands called hyperhydrosis (sweating issue) so I prefer my room cold to control my body heat.

Right now the temps have been dropping since its autumn but thank you for worrying 🤗

mel21

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2012
Btw can you recommend what kind of airflow/fan directions you used?

Im planning on having the front fans as intake so takes up the cold air since its by my AC and window and have the rear as exhaust so the heat goes in the back. How about the CPU fan should i reverse it?
Since right now the fans are going towards the front fans or should i leave it be? Not really knowledgeable about case fans so idk what would be a good fan setup but kinda common sense that the intake fans will take the cold air and blow it on my mobo/cpu/gpu? So i should have my CPU air going towards the rear fan too right?

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
I had used some cheap RGB fans from Amazon, nothing spectacular - and had 2x Intake at the front, and 1x Exhaust at the rear.

Ideally, have your CPU cooler fan blowing in the same direction so it's not fighting against what will already be somewhat restricted airflow at the front.

mel21

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2012
I had used some cheap RGB fans from Amazon, nothing spectacular - and had 2x Intake at the front, and 1x Exhaust at the rear.

Ideally, have your CPU cooler fan blowing in the same direction so it's not fighting against what will already be somewhat restricted airflow at the front.

yeah the fans im getting are decent somewhat? well it had good reviews and i wanted quiet PWM fans so i can control the speed until i decided to get a fan hub but since the fans are 3x for $16 is not a bad deal tbh

oh okay so pretty much what i'm about to do Thanks!
how about the top fan if i do decide to add one should that be intake too or exhaust? since there's no where for the air to go pushing down the cpu/mobo/psu. I might use the 140mm on my old case can't decide yet since i'll be putting my older i5 rig on it if my brother wants it.

mel21

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2012
Another question if yall dont mind me asking here instead of making a new thread. If its not allowed i’ll make a new thread about it

So the phanteks fan hub has 2 plugins to power the hub one is SATA and the other is mobo connection.

I just finished building my pc and I used the SATA connection to power the 3 fans im using on the case but everytime I turn my PC on again the fans always start at Max settings it doesnt save the previous fan settings I left it on.

Now can I plug in the MOBO connection also while its being powered by SATA already? Is the MOBO plugin it comes with only controls the PWM of the fans or will it also power the fan hub which is bad since theres 3 fans plugin on the hub and im pretty sure its over the limits of volts allowed per chasses header.

Link to the phanteks fan hub

Phanteks Universal Fan Controller, PH-PWHUB_02 - Low Profile Design, Universal Fan Controller, Magnetic Housing, Three Speed Modes with Remote Control https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07NHQRCRM/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_4W8NDbW84CYNR

Last edited:

Latest posts