Phenom X3 710 or E8400?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

someguy7

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2007
No Physcho I do not own a AMD. That benchmark means obsulelty nothing in real life or even pretend life usage. Its just a bench that Intel fanboys use. I take that back. The bench is usefull for one thing. Only to make sure if your CPU is actually performing as it should. Example. A 3 ghz c2d should perform it in so and so seconds. If yours is way off.....

werxen

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2008

wtf about me makes me a fan boy? i am a gamer at heart and im trying to help this guy out. if you ever read my threads instead of assuming things you will see i always go back and forth between AMD and Intel depending on the situation.

another stupid thing you said is IF. thats right, IF. IF a game is quad core optimized. how many games are quad core optimized so far? gta 4, far cry 2. how many more plan to be quad core optimized? who knows. but what I do know is that there is a greater market for dual core games because thats where the vast majority of gaming computers lie. its not quad core... only 2 of my friends that are gamers have quads and they are avid computer enthusiasts.

i mean REALLY dude do you ever think outside of the box? how long is he gonna have a tri core CPU when by the time it is mainstream to code multi threaded games there is going to be 6-8 core processors out. jeez... THINK a little bit. let the info swirl in your head before making assumptions.

AlvinTheNerd

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2009
Original Phenom's are garbage.

Here's a sad fact. My 3.8Ghz Phenom 2 X4 did Super Pi 1M in 19 Seconds. My 3.15ghz C2D does that same feat in 14.828 seconds. The Phenom's might have come a long way but i'd still buy a C2D over it in a heartbeat.

Quads do worse on super pi across the board. Core 2 Quads do worse on super pi than Core 2 Duos, even when the quad is exactly two of the same core 2 duos.

http://www.ripping.org/benchmarks.php?act=scores&superpi=1M&cpuid=INTEL

JDocs

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2008
Erm... Look at no_name's 7.437 seconds using a QX9650 @ 6121mhz vs ryba's 7.422 seconds using an E8600 @ 6250mhz. Close enough to say that the top are neck in neck at the same speed.

The only reason the dual cores hold the top spot is that its easier to clock them to higher speeds and even then OC Team LATVIA's QX9650 @ 6045mhz managed to beat higher clocked E8600 and QX9650 chips...

No insult intended but please chose a better source to prove your point in future. :)

Since the OP mainly uses his rig for gaming, unless theres a fast super pi or die in 1 of the games hes playing, super pi wont mean squat, just another bungholio mark is all it is, just like 3DMark

blackpanther26

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2007
I would still get the cheaper X3 710 becuase you never know what lies ahead down the road. But it is totaly up to you OP. We can't tell you to get this if you don't want it. Only sugestions.

spathotan

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2007
You cant go wrong with the X3 710 and that Gigabyte 790X OP. Probably THE best bang for buck CPU/mobo combo on the market right now. A E8400 and solid P45 will cost $80-$150 more, with similar performance.

spathotan

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2007

What happened to the Foxconn Destroyer?

roofus

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2008
sitting in a friends tower with a 6000 on it. i was too impulsive, then waited too long to send it back so i lost a few dollars but hooked up a friend. really is a nice board! i may revisit the idea of building a system in the near future but the mrs had kittens about it.

4745454b

Titan
Have you decided on the rest of the setup? The AMD setup is $60 less, I'd move up to a 790 northbridge and 750SB. Here is a good one.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157141

It will support even the 140W Phenoms, is AM2+/AM3 ready, and even has 2 PCIe 16x slots. Best of all its only $30 more then the one you picked. (and no rebate.) I personally would get the cheaper of the two seeing as the performance is so close, but $30 isn't much of a difference... I wouldn't mind hearing which you get.

LW07

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2009

What do you think about this mobo?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128381

I don't really trust ASRock, haven't experienced them but don't really know if they're a good brand or bad like ECS is.

Paired with 4 gigs of G.skill ram and an X3 710(or I may splurge $100 more for an X4 940).

4745454b

Titan
AsRock is Asus's value brand. They are ok. That board is fine as well, just a bit more. You should still be ~$20 or so less then the intel system, but with an extra core and a slightly better motherboard.

Double check that the extra $100 doesn't get you something better in Intel land. The more money you spend, the better Intel looks. Remember, Intel has the better chips, you WILL reach the point where AMD can't compete.

LW07

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2009

I've heard that the X4 940 and its competitor in its price range(the Q9400) trade blows with each other.

So is the 4th core worth the extra ~$80-100 or should i stick with a triple core?

4745454b

Titan
Will you have to sacrifice anything to get it? You said you play RTS/sim games, and those are the ones that need CPU power. The quad might make sense, but not if you have to give up something that you might need.

yipsl

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2006

Good post overall. Some people just play games and other people do stuff that benefits from more cores. I expect we'll see games using more cores be much more common over the next year, but then triple cores still have the slightly less IPC than Intel duos.

Me, I'm upgrading to a Phenom II triple core, if not a quad, but I'm not sure when. Right now, the old triple cripple is enough. I get fantastic ultrahigh settings with triple buffering for extra framerates @ 1920 x 1080 in LOTRO and that suits me just fine.

Not worth it. A B2 Phenom 9600 isn't really any faster than a B3 Phenom 8750, which is slower than a Phenom II X3 720. Now that many AM2 boards have bios' that support Toliman Phenom triple cores, the B2's are a waste of money at that price point.

IMHO, quad cores are future proofing, but so are triple cores. If you plan on keeping the PC for four years without upgrading, then the quad's worth it. If you don't mind upgrading in two years, then the Phenom II triple is a good deal.

If money were no object, I'd recommend an i7 920, but when Phenom II's go head to head vs. Core 2 Duos and Core 2 Quads, I think AMD has more bang for the buck.

My sympathies. My wife would have kittens if I didn't upgrade her PC to at least as close a level as mine.

She plays LOTRO too, mods for Morrowind and Oblivion and does graphics plus video editing. She wants my monitor, but I gave her the choice, an LCD or a new In-Win GD case to replace the old barebones case she had. Plus she got a Corsair 650watt PSU and a 4830 (until new cards arrive in June). At least she doesn't want a 4870x2 (wasted with LOTRO), but she'll get the same monitor. With two PC's to upgrade, couldn't swing a 24" but this is nice enough at 21.5" 1920 x 1080.

kal20mx

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2008
I ran into this Thread even though its been since Feb. IMO however since I am an owner of a 710, and 790gx , and a 4870 1gb running at 1680*1050. I gota tell ya I love this setup. Along with 4gigs of 1066 ddr. I currently have it on 3.2ghz on stock fan and funs crysis on enthusiast with AA off. AOC and WOW play awsome as well. I couldnt be happier with my setup.