Phenom2 940 + TA790GXB need tech support please

grishathebest

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2009
I built my second system last week: Phenom || 940, Biostar TA790GXB 790GX ATX AMD Motherboard, DDR2 1066 mushkin ram (2x 2GB), xfx radeon 4890, coolermaster 600w psu, coolermaster centurion 5 case. I hooked everything up except the 4890, and the mobo would not boot. The CPU fan would not turn, LEDs on mobo would not light up. However, the fan that was directly connected to PSU started up. Then I unplugged everything, took mobo out, and only left it as mobo/cpu connected to psu outside the case (on the antistatic mobo mat). I was expecting to hear the 3 beeps signaling no ram, however, the mobo would not respond at all. I rechecked that the cpu was mounted correctly (no pins bent), made sure there was proper contact, and hsf installed properly. And no response from mobo. I even cleared the CMOS by moving jumpers and removing/reinserting battery. And nothing. I am now in the RMA process with newegg to get the cpu/mobo replaced.

Is there anything I could have done wrong that would lead to this? I want to be sure everything is okay when I get the mobo/cpu replacement next week. I am hoping that both mushkin sticks are fine and not DOA (first build, one g skill stick was DOA) and that the 4890 is fine (I havent even got a chance to open it :( ). Did anyone else have problems like this with the mobo?? Any advice?

P.S. I tested the power supply to make sure it was fully functioning so it is not the psu.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
System Specs
VGA:XFX HD-489A-ZDFC Radeon HD 4890 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Expres
MB: BIOSTAR TA790GXB A2+ AM2+/AM2 AMD 790GX ATX AMD
CPU:AMD Phenom II X4 940 Deneb 3.0GHz Socket AM2+ 125W Quad-Core
Memory:mushkin 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500
PSU: COOLER MASTER RS-600-AMBA-D3 600W ATX12V V2.3 SLI Certified
HD:160 gb raptor (WD)

grishathebest

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2009
Yes, I read the sticky. I thought that someone here might have had similar issues with the board/cpu (maybe flashing bios is needed- but it says on biostar site that the cpu is supported by mobo) or something like that.

grishathebest

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2009
yes, that was one of the most important things as i understood from the mobo manual. It said to plug in the 24 pin (20+4) power to mobo and the 4 pin cpu power connector (even though I initially thought that was the power to the onboard video- still a newbie ;) ) in order to even start the mobo.

krzikiller

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2009
Ddoes your motherboard work now?

This is my story,
PRE-RMA
LED_D1 light was on, which in the manual means "Memroy Error." I thought that was odd so I went to local store and bought new memory. The same LED_D1 came on. Motherboard is bad?
I tried the most basic startup. Motherboard, PSU, CPU, Memory and the same error occurs.
POST-RMA
LED_D1 and LED_D2 blinks but LED_D1 blinks longer and brighter. Improvement? Maybe, but just like before, nothing is being displayed don my monitor. BIOS or anything.

It is definitely not because of my memory since it works perfectly fine on my old build. Also the specs on my memory match the specs given on BIOSTAR website.

grishathebest

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2009
I'm supposed to be getting mobo the day after tomorrow, and REALLY hoping it goes smooth. It seems like theres a lot of people having problems with this mobo :(

@krzikiller, any luck? possible two doa boards?! I am going to test my ram tomorrow on old comp to make sure its good to be ready for the mobo/cpu.

Any other ideas/input anyone on this motherboard (+cpu)?

grishathebest

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2009
RMA'd and receieved working new parts :D

But now a new problem: my ram is DDR 2-1066 but the mobo only runs it at 400 mhz! So instead of pc2-8500 it is pc2-6400. Anyone know anything about this issue?? If you can post the bios config for the ram, it would be great!

grishathebest

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2009
Thanks for the help guys. Everything is working smooth. I tweaked the timings and voltage and achieved an OC on the ram- its running at 1120 now :D More than happy! Thank u all who replied