Philips 8X4X32 What's the problem???

Bubba

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
OK, today at Best Buy the Philips 8X CDRW went on sale for $100. I would like to get this for my parents. The speed is fast enough for them and the price is certainly right.
My question is, what is the catch? I mean, what is wrong with this drive?
I only ask because the price of $100 is unbeatable. But there were about 20 of them on the shelf. They had tons. Why aren't they selling? What is wrong with the drive?

If anyone has an answer I would really appreciate it. Also, sharing any experience you may have had with this drive would be helpful. Please don't give me all that "you should get a plextor" crap. I don't need recommendations, just a reason for the low price and lack of sale of this drive.

Thanks

G

The catch is that the drive is a philips, and i beileve that philips is not a very reliable brand.

True the speed is good and the burner will work but if you want to get a half decent burner for your parents get a Yamaha or a Sony, you might end up paying a bit more for it but the price is worth it. It'll last longer and will be more reliable.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by piggy on 03/05/01 03:35 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

G

Man, that is a Best Buy, right, go for it then. Hehe...

"akuna mutata" braza... :wink:

Hobbit

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Philips IMO SUCKS! Yep, I have tried philips before. Spend a little more and get a Teac W512EB 12x10x32 for about 160 shipped. It is quite literally fantastic. Fully clonecd compatable and has burn proof.

Balls, said the Queen if I had them I would be king!

LordKaos

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2001
In other words Philips = Crap!
They are selling it so cheap because nobody wants them!
(You already saw they had a lot of them! No one in its right mind would buy a bunch of RW´s just to sell them cheap!)

BTW , i just had one more thing to say:

"You should get a Plextor!" ;-)
(121032A(IDE), 121032S(SCSi), 161040A or the 161040S!)

Better burn in Hell with some company than freeze in Heaven all alone

kep55

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Contrary to what many others may have said, Philips CD-RWs are not that bad. If you tear open many of the name units, you'll see Philips made the laser assembly. It seems there's this little thing known as a world wide patent.
Mine works fine. Chances are the one you saw are closeouts because Philips is introducing a newer model. Hit their web site and see.

G

Philips is #1 in reliabilty in cd mechs and laser assemblys for the past 10 years. They are the 2nd to larges (just behind panasonic) and almost 3 times as big as sony in manufactoring. I have worked in the electronics (audio/video) field for the last 9 years and they are EASILY the most reliable brand. If you don't know what your talking about when you make posts you look like an idiot. BTW TDK's assembly is an philips so is plextors...