Philips BDM4065UC 40-inch Ultra HD Monitor Review

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Simon Ayres

Honorable
Jun 18, 2013
"Many TVs can run at 120Hz but they'll only accept a 60Hz signal" This is not true, there are very few TVs that are actually 120hz ones that are advertised as such are actually refreshing the backlight at 120hz also HDMI standards below 1.4 are limited to a maximum of 60hz

Eggz

Distinguished

Ha, do you realize these two statements are compatible? They actually almost state the same thing in different ways.

--"Many TVs can run at 120Hz but they'll only accept a 60Hz signal"
--"Very few TVs (i.e. 'some') are actually 120Hz . . . also HDMI [1.4 or lower] are limited to a maximum of 60Hz"

They both say true 120Hz TVs are rare, and that cable signal is a limiting factor.

Simon Ayres

Honorable
Jun 18, 2013

Not really, what i am saying is that what are called 120Hz TVs actually run 60Hz Panels with a back light that refreshes at 120Hz

Also, how many TVs in today's market have less then HDMI 1.4? I was just pointing out the limitation on any 1.3 and lower TVs.

If you are going to try correcting people please make sure you actually understand what they are saying first.

BioFreak

Reputable
Jun 18, 2014
Ive had my 40" Crossover 404k monitor for a few months now and have loved it, especially for gaming. I cant wait to see more monitors of this size come out, hopefully with gsync.

joe_mac_user

Reputable
Nov 28, 2015
I have a two part question and thought I would ask it here. This is the first part.

I have purchased this monitor and have had it for a few days now but can't seem to get the monitor and my Macbook Pro to see one another. I have connected both with a Thunderbolt cable using the monitors mini DisplayPort connector. My Macbook Pro is a 13" Retina notebook purchased earlier this year and the graphics card, according to the specs, is able to drive up to 2 external 4K monitors.

I understand that to get the best results I should manually select the DisplayPort to version 1.2 to get the monitor to operate at 60 Hz versus version 1.1 which is only able to drive the monitor at 30 Hz. Although I have the cable connected between the Mac and the Philips monitor, nothing works. The monitor displays a sign stating it is receiving no input signal and the Mac can't detect an external monitor. The computer's preference panel continues to show only one display (the built-in display). Another problem I am having is the fact that I can't get to the OSD menu. The monitor gets stuck in the language selection portion of the menu. I select English and it then returns to the no input signal message. I can't move to the part of the OSD where I can select the input port (and select mini DisplayPort) and where I can select the version of DisplayPort.

Any ideas of what to do ? The monitor is also equipped with HDMI and DisplayPort connectors. Would it make any difference if I used either a Mini DisplayPort to HDMI adapter or a Mini DisplayPort to DisplayPort adapter to connect my computer (via Thunderbolt port) to the monitor ? Would the Thunderbolt port be able to drive the HDMI connection at 60 Hz ?

Thank you in advance,

Joseph.

joe_mac_user

Reputable
Nov 28, 2015
I have a two part question and thought this would be the perfect place to ask it. This is the second part of my question.

Considering the review states this is a great monitor but not one that should be used for color-critical work, which one would you recommend for color-critical tasks ?

One of the things I like about the Philips monitor is the size. I would prefer a 4K monitor with size in the range of 40 to 45 inches but haven't seen any out there. Most are in the high 20s or low 30s (28" to 34" range). Panasonic makes one equipped with a display connector that can be used as a computer monitor (TC-L65WT600) but the 65" size is just too large. In addition at this size the monitor will be displaying approximately 66 or 67 pixels per inch, which is lower than the original 72 dpi used for earlier Mac screens. It will likely appear pixelated for work done up close as is the case with a computer monitor.

Which monitor will you recommend for color critical work that is in the range of 40-45 inches and delivers a good quality 4K image ?

Thank you in advance.

Joseph.

Status
Not open for further replies.