Phone contract prices ? Too good to be true

samborambo56

Honorable
Nov 9, 2013
So I'll get straight to the point ... I'm looking for a new phone and have been wondering what the cheapest option for me would be.
I took the iphone 6s as my example phone and put together some scenarios and the figures show that o2 seem to be just horrendously expensive

The scenario where I buy both phone and sim from 02 works out at 44.50 p/mo with 9,50 upfront so makes the overall cost after 24 months = 1078.00

This is where I can't believe my eyes .. If I get a sim only deal from unshackled.com at 6.99 a month (with very similar amounts of data, calls texts on three network) then buy the phone outright and new unlocked from ebay then divide the total by 24 then I get 612.00 for the same 24 months.

Its very tempting but was just wondering if anyone had any input on this - advantages and disadvantages of either option. Or maybe had any experience with unshackled.com they could let me know. Would I be getting scammed somehow or do these figures make perfect sense?

Seems like those cheap carriers back here in the States. I usually stay away from there, because they sometimes have hidden fees. If almost seems like it is pre-paid, and you may not get the speeds you are promised from a more reputable carrier. The thing is, if it is 6.99/mo, why is it on a contact (or was it)?

samborambo56

Honorable
Nov 9, 2013

Unshackled.com seem to be shouting about the fact that their are no contracts so I'm not tied in to anything? I'm new to buying my own phone so I don't fully understand all of this to be honest. I mean the sim runs off of a reputable network at least (the three network) so could unshackled somehow limit my speeds there even if three is pretty much in charge of the data and stuff?
Also could you suggest what they might do in terms of hidden charges?

Sorry that I'm pretty clueless about all of this haha