Question Phone Line to carry Internet

jawlesspython04

Distinguished
May 25, 2014
So for context, I live in a rural part of my country and up until a few months ago, we had DSL internet and the router was placed in our house so It provided signals everywhere and I could hook up my computer with ethernet. Now that we have upgraded to an optic fiber connection, it includes 3 things. Internet, TV and telephone. This is what causes the problem. For convenience, the new router was placed in my living room, where the TV is, so they could easily connect it to the set top box. The problem now is that the router doesn't cover the whole house with WiFi Signals, and a range extender significantly lowers the internet speeds. I was wondering if the existing phone lines in my house could be used to carry internet? My house has 3 RJ-11 jacks. One near my router, one in the middle of the house (Where the DSL router was placed) and one near my room. Could this work somehow? It would save me the hassle of running a long ethernet cable all the way from my router to my computer.

The house is single story, and I can't really make any major modifications to the wiring in the house like drilling in the walls to install a completely new network, as the residence is provided to me by the company I work for. (Rural area, as I said before).

I mainly want a wired connection for better ping while gaming. The higher speed is a benefit but I wouldn't mind losing a little bit of speed. (eg when I tried a long ethernet cable, I was getting 100Mbps down and up speed. I wouldn't mind if that dropped to about 30/40. Just need good ping)

jawlesspython04

Distinguished
May 25, 2014
phone lines are too slow, RJ11 is about 24Mbit max...but it depends on wires used

maybe running single RJ45 from your router to somewhere in middle of house and there place wifi access point

The people who set up my internet are already doing this by themselves because of the huge number of complaints received by other people that the WiFi signals do not cover the whole house. Still, my problem is there. I specifically want a wired connection for better and more stable ping.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Powerline adapters are a thing.

As long as it is wired correctly, you can use phone lines to carry ethernet. Long as they used something relatively modern like Cat 3 cable. A lot of newer construction pretty much use Cat5e for everything, so it is possible the cables are perfectly suited, you might just need to replace the jacks.

jawlesspython04

Distinguished
May 25, 2014
Powerline adapters are a thing.

As long as it is wired correctly, you can use phone lines to carry ethernet. Long as they used something relatively modern like Cat 3 cable. A lot of newer construction pretty much use Cat5e for everything, so it is possible the cables are perfectly suited, you might just need to replace the jacks.

Yup, I looked at powerline adapters as well. They're definitely more convenient, just plug and play. Problem is, I don't have a free electrical output near my computer :/ I could use an extension to power multiple appliances from a single output, but I doubt that is safe.

How do I check if my phone lines use Cat 3 or Cat 5?

You have to get very lucky for the phone wiring in the home to be anything but traditional 4 wire inside wire.

You might be surprised how good a current gen wifi 6 pci-e card will do when running 5g if your new fiber router provides 5g wireless. I use one myself for fps games like cod mw, bo4, and warzone and have seen little difference between the wifi 6 card and my cat-6 cable.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
You have to get very lucky for the phone wiring in the home to be anything but traditional 4 wire inside wire.

You might be surprised how good a current gen wifi 6 pci-e card will do when running 5g if your new fiber router provides 5g wireless. I use one myself for fps games like cod mw, bo4, and warzone and have seen little difference between the wifi 6 card and my cat-6 cable.

At my parents house, which was wired for seven phone lines back in the early 80s... (phone to each bedroom, and a second line in the 'office') they did indeed run a pair of category 4 cable everywhere.

At my parents house, which was wired for seven phone lines back in the early 80s... (phone to each bedroom, and a second line in the 'office') they did indeed run a pair of category 4 cable everywhere.

It's definitely been done...it just wasn't that common outside more affluent homes. I've been in some homes that had so many standard telco 4 wires run around the house that they had to install a separate punch down block just to terminate them all next to the telco demark.