Question PhysX Card not being read

Jimd0586

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2013
Hi all!

I cannot get my GTX 1060 3GB to operate as a PhysX card for some reason. Yes, I know PhysX is sort of a waste but I have the extra card around, why not use it?

Here is my rig (and yes I know it isn't much to talk about)

Aorus Elite z390
i5-9600k
GTX 1660 Super
Corsair 650 Watt Power Supply
24 GB Ram (8x8x4x4)
Windows 11
M2 NVMe 1 TB SSD
SATA 1 TB SSD
WIFI Card

I moderately upgraded my graphics card from the GTX 1060 3GB to the 1660 Super. Now if I plug the 1060 into the second slot at the base of the Aorus Elite board it is read as plugged in but the device manager in Windows shows it as basically unable to do anything.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Lutfij

Titan
Corsair is the brand of the PSU, while 650W is the advertised wattage of the unit. What is the model of your PSU? Side note, how old is the PSU in your build? You might want to work with the single most powerful card in your platform, as opposed to working with two GPU's.

One other issue is this;
24 GB Ram (8x8x4x4)
You should either work with a matched kit, not mixing and matching sticks of ram to get a cumulative number.

Jimd0586

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2013
Corsair is the brand of the PSU, while 650W is the advertised wattage of the unit. What is the model of your PSU? Side note, how old is the PSU in your build? You might want to work with the single most powerful card in your platform, as opposed to working with two GPU's.

One other issue is this;
24 GB Ram (8x8x4x4)
You should either work with a matched kit, not mixing and matching sticks of ram to get a cumulative number.
Thank you for the reply. I was on vacation so I apologize for the delay. I'm also currently at work! (Don't tell my boss!) I will check the Power Supply info this afternoon. In the meantime, is the RAM that big of an issue? I had two 4GB sticks so I figured adding them would help. The motherboard uses that deal where two matched sticks in the right slots improves performance so I matched the two 4's and then the two 8's.

Hey there,

I'd agree with @Lutfij on the PSU, we need to know more, if it's sufficient to power both GPU's. Although, when you run another GPU as a PhysX card, it doesn't require it's full/max power to operate. In fact it draws very little power, as it's is not performing any rasterization.

Don't think ram would have much impact here, IMO. If you have been running trouble free in terms of ram, and at the right speeds, then it's okay. Sometimes though, mixing ram can cause issue, but if you aren't experiencing any issues then I wouldn't be thinking about it too much. WHat speed is your ram running at? Can you link the various DIMM's so we can see if it's runinng optimaly?

Might be worth doing a bios update, and rule that out as sometimes GPU bugs can be solved with it.