Question Picked this 13600k open box -scratched from the edges for cheap from Micro center. What are the chances for it to work?

https://ibb.co/t4HJWxc
https://ibb.co/d4Spzk2

Bought it for $230 but it has visible scratches on the edge . What could have even caused it? and what are the chances for it to work?

I dont have MB yet so cant test.
Any help is helpful!
IIRC Microcenter gives a store return warranty even for 'open box' items. It is time limited though (2 weeks maybe) so I'd hurry up and find a motherboard to test it on.

The scratches on the heat spreader look like something caused by clumsy installation. If so they might have trashed a motherboard.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador

This is a 13700. Essentially the exact same as a 13600k. If the scratches are not deep, and are not directly over the area shown by the actual die, you got nothing to worry about, it's all dead space under that lid.

But I'd get it tested on a board Asap, ppl don't return a 13th gen cpu for no reason, and there's no telling if they roasted it with OC and then lied to Microcenter to get a return/upgrade or simply thought it was bad because their cooler didn't/wasn't mounted correctly, and there's nothing wrong with the cpu at all.

Last edited:
Reactions: jerrie86

jerrie86

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2013

This is a 13700. Essentially the exact same as a 13600k. If the scratches are not deep, and are not directly over the area shown by the actual die, you got nothing to worry about, it's all dead space under that lid.

But I'd get it tested on a board Asap, ppl don't return a 13th gen cpu for no reason, and there's no telling if they roasted it with OC and then lied to Microcenter to get a return/upgrade or simply thought it was bad because their cooler didn't/wasn't mounted correctly, and there's nothing wrong with the cpu at all.
Hey , looks like guy def had way too much paste spilled everywhere. But after some cleaning, it works. and ran Prime95 for an hour with some undervolt and MCE disabled. No crashes and temps are near 80 degrees and cinebench at 70 degrees.