Picking a 24' Monitor

vxzkev

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2009
Hello all, as I am planning to run Crossfire with my XFX 4870s, I am just wondering if you can help me to pick out a lcd monitor. I already have two in my mind that I really like.

1. Gateway FHD2401 Black 24" 5ms HDMI Widescreen LCD Monitor 400 cd/m2 2000:1

Detailed Specs: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824113019

2. SAMSUNG ToC T240HD Rose-Black 24" 5ms HDMI Widescreen HDTV Monitor 300 cd/m2 DC 10000:1 Built in DTV Tuner & Dolby Digital Surround Speakers

Detailed Specs: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824001280

The Gateway one is $180 and the Samsung one is $250. The Samsung one has a internal DTV tuner and speakers.

Thanks for the help!!!

I am planning on getting that exact once once I am home from the holidays. My buddy had this exact one and for gaming, it is awesome. Virtually zero input lag and very fast. Looks really good. Granted it is still a TN panel so the color is what you expect from a nice TN panel and viewing angles.

impaledmango

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2009

i have the vk266h...trust me IT HAS HUGE GHOSTING ISSUES. but, the deal is that there is a feature called overdrive. Basically it ranges from 0-100 through 20 increments (20,40,60etc). I'm not quite sure what it does but it does effect the input lag. Several other forums (aswell as my own input) find that when the overdrive is set to 60+ there is bad ghosting issues. You may not notice it in darker more singular colour games but it is there. Run this test to see for your self if you have one by now.
http://www.prad.de/new/monitore/testsoftware/schlieren2.html

(also the stock gaming setting has the overdrive set to 60)

It may just be a couple monitors, but try for your self. I personally never noticed it in gta4, l4d 2 and HoN, but I was playing around with guild wars and there are glowing gloves and that is when I noticed how bad the ghosting was in actuality. So I then played around with the settings and I found when I lowered it to 40 overdrive the ghosting was completely gone. I'm sure though that the ghosting is caused by overdrive which effect input lag, but I read somewhere it is very aggressive and over does it in some way or another. Long story short once I lowered it to 40 it has been perfect. I have my ps3 (hdmi), xbox 360 (composite cables) and pc (dvi) all hooked up to this baby and I couldn't be happier especially because it has 1:1 pixel mapping for games!

vxzkev

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2009
Thanks you all for the GREAT suggestions and replies. However, after impalemango posted the comment, I further read into people's reviews on this monitor and I found that ghosting seems to be an issue for a lot of people. Moreover, I have found many good reviews on the Samsung's T240HD. So, do you guys think the Samsung is a good deal for $249.99?

impaledmango

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2009
well im not saying its a bad monitor, but the overdrive feature is very aggressive and if you just turn it down abit it'll be perfectly fine. Just so you know without the overdrive feature it is 5ms gtg, I'm not sure that would translate over too, but there should be any issues anyways.

There are people complaining about the blue tint, but i find that once you calibrate it decently it becomes really nice. The view angles are also great, definatley one of the better TN monitors. The blacks look black and the greys look grey. It's hard to get a perfect white I'll admit, but I think have it down. I heard that the t240 has bad color and not alot of features in the osd, but at stock there isnt much trouble. Also the ms response time is 5ms (not sure if it is gtg or not) when over drive is turned off, so even then it isnt that slow. My advice to you is to go and see the monitor in a store and decide if you like the looks of it. And the T240HD has a tv tuner in it, so if your not going to watching tv the T240 is the same thing.