Picking a New Motherboard

Wislan

Reputable
Jun 21, 2015
Hey,

I've decided that I really do need a new motherboard. My current one is super old and has been causing issues lately, and besides I am looking to upgrade other hardware, specifically more storage space and maybe a new processor. This has proven to be much more difficult than I an anticipated and I am somewhat fearful of all the issues with compatibility, longevity etc even after reading the "How to Choose a Motherboard" article on this site. I would appreciate your help in making a selection. My current setup is

Win 10 64bt
i7 2600k
8gb ram (2x4gb DDR3)
GTX 970
250gb ssd (SATA III 6gb/s)
500gb hdd (SATA II 3gb/s)
I also have a single optical drive.

My current mohter board is a MSI Z68A-G43 (G3) (this one https://us.msi.com/Motherboard/Z68AG43_G3.html#hero-specification)

Additionally, the SSD is Samsung which I have heard can have compatibility issues with AMD motherboards, for example although I have checked my SSD is in a SATA III slot, it shows in Windows as being in a SATA II slot.

So far I haven't overclocked anything but it is something I would like to be able to dabble in in the future.

I have done my best to provide all required information but understand you may need more...

Thanks

Solution
Since this BSOD hasn't happened in awhile I would save up and get a substantial upgrade such as the i5-8400 (or i7-8700) and if it takes a few months it will work out well as Intel will be releasing there B350/H370 "budget" motherboards early next year. Or your could go with the K CPU versions and Z motherboards for overclocking.

WildCard999

Titan
What issues are you having with your current motherboard? If possible can you use your current motherboard until you could afford a new CPU, MB & RAM?

The reason I ask is your current motherboard does support overclocking and also since it's older its going to be difficult to find a cheap but decent MB.

Wislan

Reputable
Jun 21, 2015

So it would be much better to get a new CPU along with a new motherboard since there are very few motherboards that support the CPU I have?

The issues are not currently terminal however I have had the occasional BSoD that I traced back to the motherboard (it was an out of memory problem however I checked the RAM thoroughly and it was fine so I concluded the motherboard was the issue). That hasn't happened for a few months however. It's also that I want to upgrade a few other components (more storage, maybe a better CPU) and want a motherboard that can support it.

WildCard999

Titan
Since this BSOD hasn't happened in awhile I would save up and get a substantial upgrade such as the i5-8400 (or i7-8700) and if it takes a few months it will work out well as Intel will be releasing there B350/H370 "budget" motherboards early next year. Or your could go with the K CPU versions and Z motherboards for overclocking.

Solution