Picking MOBO for 8700K, need help

kaspersen15

Prominent
Mar 9, 2018
Hello
So I am looking for a new motherboard I have read countless of reviews and forum posts. Saw a post saying that all boards are at the base the same it is the extra features that makes the difference. Now that may be old news for some, I'm not good at the whole motherboard thing so I haven't thought about it that way. So what I am looking for is someone pointing me in the right direction I don't need wifi, don't need SLI or good on board sound.
I need a motherboard that is easy to configure as I am going to try to OC, that is mostly it i guess? What would be good for me? I'm cooling the CPU a noctua NH D15 if that plays a part. There isn't really a budget but if someone says the hero X, that is pretty expensive and I would like a good explanation as to why it have to be that one.

If there is info missing please do say so and I will do my best to provide.

Thanks in advance.

Solution
Cheap options for mid-range boards like mine also include the msi linked above by zorrrro, Asrock Z370 Extreme4, Asus Strix Z370-H. Just to give you more options.

My personal opinion would be to go with Asus, Asrock, Gigabyte, Msi, in that order.
Can we assume you mean the 8700"K"?

The main difference between boards from an overclocking standpoint is mainly the quality of the VRMs, the cooling of the VRMs, and how many power phases the board has. The Hero is one of the best for those reasons, and the price reflects it.

kaspersen15

Prominent
Mar 9, 2018
My bad, ofc it is the 8700k I have edited the post. Thank you. So the hero is the best? But where I live it is almost twice as much as many of the other motherboards, is the difference really that big?

If you want to drop quality a little from the Hero, but still have quality VRM, power phases, here are a few to look at:

Asus Strix Z370-E
Asus Strix Z370-F
Asus Z370-A
Gigabyte Aorus Gaming 5

Note: I myself have a Gigabyte Aorus Gaming Ultra. Far from a high end overclocking board. But I'm not an aggressive overclocker either. I'm sitting at a cozy 4.8GHz 1.34v. It really depends on your budget and goals.

kaspersen15

Prominent
Mar 9, 2018
If you want to drop quality a little from the Hero, but still have quality VRM, power phases, here are a few to look at:

Asus Strix Z370-E
Asus Strix Z370-F
Asus Z370-A
Gigabyte Aorus Gaming 5

Note: I myself have a Gigabyte Aorus Gaming Ultra. Far from a high end overclocking board. But I'm not an aggressive overclocker either. I'm sitting at a cozy 4.8GHz 1.34v. It really depends on your budget and goals.

4.8 sounds ok to me :) im not at all an aggressive OC'er myself. im not trying to push limits or risking degrading my CPU. i just want some extra juice 27/4. hence why i need a MoBo that is easy to configure, i like playing around and trying out some stuff, but within safe limitations, hope that makes sense?

Well it depends. The Prime Z370-A is amazing but the Prime Z370-P uses much cheaper parts. The strix boards are all pretty consistent. Great boards at their price point, and worth considering. The strix Z370-H uses a little cheaper parts compared to the others, but even this board is fine for mild overclocks.