[SOLVED] Pico PSU and memtest errors

mattnicholas.art

Honorable
May 16, 2018
Hi,

Would any of you be able to help me out with the following please: I just built a Mini ITX machine for my mother - and I'm having problems with the memory.

Specs:

CPU - i5 4670K (not overclocked - everything default in BIOS)
Motherboard - Z87N-WiFi
Memory - Crucial Ballistix Sport 1600MHz (8GB x 2)
Cooler - Noctua NH-L9i
PSU - Pico PSU 150 XT 150W
Case - Streacom F1CWS Evo

I've stress-tested using Aida64, OCCT, Blender and Handbrake (h265 preset) and it's stable. The problem is that memtest always returns errors, but the exact same memory shows no errors in my main rig (Z97 MSI Krait). I've tried underclocking the memory to 1333 and also bumping up the DRAM voltage to 1.56v - but nothing helps.

Could this be a power supply issue? Any advise as to what the likely component at fault would be - would be greatly appreciated - thanks!

(I also tried brand new HyperX Fury in this machine and memtest throws up errors with that too. And again, this brand new memory passes with flying colours on my MSI Krait MB.)

JM8mWV.jpg

dtkobV.jpg

Hl2bei.jpg

56bYnH.jpg

Last edited:
Solution
Ah ok - yeah, I really get the sense you're right on the money, especially with the ram sticks working fine in my other rig. Just hope the individual who performed the delidding has business insurance otherwise I'm borked :/ Not that it seemed to make any discernible difference to temps anyway, which sucks..!

Anyway, thanks for your advice Rogue Leader - much appreciated! I'll source a new CPU, perhaps a non-k one and skip the delidding ;)

If its possible to test with another CPU if you have, it its worth doing, just in case I'm wrong and its the motherboard. However.... I am like 99% sure its the CPU.

mattnicholas.art

Honorable
May 16, 2018
What's the output wattage on the external power brick? It looks very small. It needs to be somewhat greater than the Pico's 150W capacity.

Thanks for your help, I don't have any way to test that here but I found some info online for this model:

Provides up to 150w power output
Input Voltage : 90 - 264V
Output Voltage : 12v

U3t2wm.jpg

Last edited:

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
The issue is not the PSU that can't cause a problem like this.

If 2 different sets of ram cause the same problems you either have a bad motherboard or a bad CPU. CPU being the far less likely culprit. The memory controller may have an issue in the CPU. It sounds like you have another LGA 1150 system, can you try swapping the CPU in from there?

Reactions: mattnicholas.art

mattnicholas.art

Honorable
May 16, 2018
The issue is not the PSU that can't cause a problem like this.

If 2 different sets of ram cause the same problems you either have a bad motherboard or a bad CPU. CPU being the far less likely culprit. The memory controller may have an issue in the CPU. It sounds like you have another LGA 1150 system, can you try swapping the CPU in from there?

Thanks for that, it does make sense actually as I've just had this CPU de-lidded so there has been the potential for damage recently (used a service online, didn't do it myself). I tried running the Intel Processor Diagnostic tool and it didn't show any errors but the CPU Load test just continued going well past the stated 120min mark. I had to cancel the test in the end as it didn't show any signs of stopping. It would be a PITA to swap out CPUs but if I had no other choice it would be something I'd have to do. I also had a 'CPU 1' error on a previous memtest - again perhaps that's a sign of CPU damage?

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
Thanks for that, it does make sense actually as I've just had this CPU de-lidded so there has been the potential for damage recently (used a service online, didn't do it myself). I tried running the Intel Processor Diagnostic tool and it didn't show any errors but the CPU Load test just continued going well past the stated 120min mark. I had to cancel the test in the end as it didn't show any signs of stopping. It would be a PITA to swap out CPUs but if I had no other choice it would be something I'd have to do. I also had a 'CPU 1' error on a previous memtest - again perhaps that's a sign of CPU damage?

A whole lot of signs are pointing to your CPU's memory controller being borked. An issue like that won't give consistent problems, but clearly problems you can see.

mattnicholas.art

Honorable
May 16, 2018
Ah ok - yeah, I really get the sense you're right on the money, especially with the ram sticks working fine in my other rig. Just hope the individual who performed the delidding has business insurance otherwise I'm borked :/ Not that it seemed to make any discernible difference to temps anyway, which sucks..!

Anyway, thanks for your advice Rogue Leader - much appreciated! I'll source a new CPU, perhaps a non-k one and skip the delidding ;)

Reactions: Rogue Leader

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!

If its possible to test with another CPU if you have, it its worth doing, just in case I'm wrong and its the motherboard. However.... I am like 99% sure its the CPU.

Solution

mattnicholas.art

Honorable
May 16, 2018

Ah what the heck...I've decided to buy a i5 4670s instead, and if the memory tests fine with it then that's great as the TDP is much lower and it'll still be a 500MHz speed bump for my mom from her i5 4440 ;) If however it turns out to be the motherboard (much less chance, as you say) then I'll replace it and sell on the 4670k (was overkill anyway). I don't have it in me to strip down my main rig, spent way too much time getting the cable management 'perfect' lol yeah I know a bit lazy 😁

Thanks again👍🏻

Reactions: Rogue Leader

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
Ah what the heck...I've decided to buy a i5 4670s instead, and if the memory tests fine with it then that's great as the TDP is much lower and it'll still be a 500MHz speed bump for my mom from her i5 4440 ;) If however it turns out to be the motherboard (much less chance, as you say) then I'll replace it and sell on the 4670k (was overkill anyway). I don't have it in me to strip down my main rig, spent way too much time getting the cable management 'perfect' lol yeah I know a bit lazy 😁

Thanks again👍🏻

For a system like that a 4670s is a good choice.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
I wonder if the Z87N-wifi will let me tinker with voltages? Do you think there's any chance of that? Would be nice to lower the vCore...

Z87 motherboard should let you do whatever you want when it comes to adjusting cpu parameters, but usually only on a k cpu. The 4670s is not overclockable so you may not be able to do that.