Picture from Case Maker Claims to Show iPhone 5

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

olaf

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2011
i'm not defending apple here but has anyone considerd that it may not be a genuine Iphone, there are a ton of replicas out there , this could be one that does't even run a skinned android but some shitty proprietary os and skinned to look like iOS on the surface , and the phone sporting a micro USB connector that fits badly with that cheep Chinese phone case , not saying the phone can't be cheep and Chinese as well :p

SinisterMessiah

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2007
Only phone I'll use are Galaxy Nexus phones, because they are the only phones that actually get android updates on release right away and they aren't filled with manufacturer bloatware. Android is a great OS, but the way manufacturers handle and distribute it is a joke. But I'd rather deal with that than Apple telling me what I can and can't do or download with my phone.

teh_chem

Honorable
Jun 20, 2012
What's funny is that I do believe that Apple "beat" most of the major players to the smartphone revolution--but ever since they "revolutionized" (popularized) the smartphone market, they've made no revolutionary advancements in the slightest ever since. It's just even more obvious with the quick advancement of Android phones while the iphone/ios have mostly stagnated with nothing new. Maybe OTA updates vs. the archaic tethering method that Apple had used up until about a year and a half ago is the most advanced feature added to the ios platform since inception, and MAYBE "cloud" sync.

Oh, and their nifty notifications pull-down tray that suspiciously resembles the same tray that's been present in Android forever...yet Apple insists that Android manufacturers are the ones copying them, and not the other way around. ;)

The new iphone looks awkward. IF the appearance is true, it looks oddly tall vs. width. Curious what the reason for that it (unless I'm just looking at it wrong).

teh_chem

Honorable
Jun 20, 2012
[citation][nom]wemakeourfuture[/nom]Honestly when I hear people argue about Android or iPhone its the same as me hearing two people argue over Honda or Toyota. Really the differences are small and people just have to relax.People have preferences over one product over another. That's why when you walk down the street a lot of people aren't wearing the same shirts or pants as you, people have different tastes and for different reasons.I've seen people with multiple degrees who are really technically sophisticated have iPhones and I have seen people who know very little about technology have Android products. These are consumer products made for millions of different people.What you like I may like but for completely different reasons or I may dislike it for reasons you may not even consider. Give it a rest after 4 years people, they're just phones.[/citation]
I think the ongoing arguments of "mine is better" is pointless because everyone has their own preferences, but that doesn't mean that they're also not significantly different. It's not quite like arguing over Toyota vs. Honda, because the basic functionality (and the basic things you can do with them) are very different. It'd be like driving one car where you have a few set routes on which you can drive that basically satisfy your daily needs, vs. having a free-roam vehicle where you can go wherever whenever, even though you might not ever really need it.

I'm all for people using what they want and like, and I have no delusions that I'd convince an iphone user to go android or vice versa, but there are massive differences between the platforms (and intellectual achievements have nothing to do with the desire/ability to use one over the other). The only way these differences manifest as "better" is if the user enjoys the experience of one more than the others.

But in terms of blatant differences between Android and iPhone: External expandable storage. Wide variety of supported video and audio file playback (not requiring arcane video encoding for your personal media files). Widgets that don't require the user to go through so many menus and sub-menus to achieve a menial task like turning on/off bluetooth. Live widgets for various applications that expand productivity/multitasking (i.e., the more you can have two active things open at the same time--like an email widget and a RSS widget, the less wasted time you spend switching between them).

Honestly, I don't get why Apple hasn't implemented/allowed widgets yet. It makes such an improved user experience. I have both android devices (phone/tablet) and an ipod touch (and the lady has an ipad), and just from the ability to achieve tasks so much faster on my android devices, I personally prefer them. iOS is "slick" (well, slick-looking), but it could be so much more functional. Maybe they don't want it to be functional, just simple-looking.

face-plants

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2009
I'm so tired of how polarized people are in this Apple vs Samsung battle. Someone simply states that they'd like to but the new iPhone 5 and they get minus 20? I can say that I'm not a member of either camp. I have a Windows Phone from work and an Android for personal use. I also have two iPhones however, an original iPhone I got free from a customer 2 years ago and a slightly beat up iPhone 4 received in the same manner. While I'm not sure if I'd ever spend the money for a new one myself, I do appreciate the tech packed into the iPhone. For configuring WiFi networks quick without getting out a laptop, checking e-mail, or even amusing myself while waiting for appointments, I can honestly say the iPhone has been quite handy. That being said, I jailbroke both of them the day I got them and use it more as an iPod than a phone since I've never activated either.

I don't agree with Apple's closed-market system or the conditions in which their products are manufactured but they do know how to design products that are generally pleasant to use. And for Google, can anyone say that they've been living by their "Don't be evil" motto? Countless privacy violation accusations as well as their very own admission that their Street View mapping vehicles sucked up literally 100's of Gigs of personal info from people's unsecured WiFi networks. A large portion of which they just announced they had found still floating around on their servers months after a judge ordered them to delete it.

Regardless, people buy Androids and iPhones for good and bad reasons. I'd like to see anyone prove that the millions of iPhone owners out there are all idiots. Or the same for Android owners. Dumb people's money spends just the same and no matter what you like, dumb people can buy it too.

The most ridiculous thing is people totally swearing off products from the other company's camp. First of all, for Apple fans, this is impossible since Samsung is the sole supplier of retina panels for the new iPad and all of Apples devices are PACKED with Samsung components. And if you swear off ever buying an Apple product without having ever owned one then you don't have much experience to talk about them do you?

Get a grip people, attack companies for ridiculous lawsuits, crappy worker conditions, or unfair business practices but don't treat every person who likes a companies product as a representative of said company deserving of harassment. If Toyota starts murdering people en masse tomorrow am I any better or worse of a person for driving one?

i have the 2 year old galaxy nexus S and it already has jellybean while newer phones like the S3 are still on ICS. so if you want a phone that is guaranteed to get updates then the nexus line is the way to go

and to apple fanbios my nexus S is older than the iphone 4 and it now has SIRI like functionality.

Status
Not open for further replies.