PICTURED: Gigabyte's M1405 with External GPU

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

all they need now is to make one with tablet and multi-touch and I'm sold.

G

I believe the Toshiba Dynadock USB docking station has a built in video card. You can dock any laptop via USB to it and it'll output to two separate DVI ports in full 1920x1200 res to each. Not exactly gaming quality, but I've found it does preform well.

thegreathuntingdolphin

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2009
It doesn't need anything drastically more powerful that a 220, maybe a 5770 at most (any more and I think it will begin to get CPU limited with the c2d). It only has a 14-inch, 1366 x 768 resolution screen unless you buy a monitor for it. Anyways, I am sure this thing will be crazy expensive. I think it would still make since to have a separate desktop and cheaper laptop. But for those who want to spend the money, knock yourself out - it is a cool idea in theory.

JMcEntegart

Splendid
Aug 25, 2007
[citation][nom]g00ey[/nom]In short: Why not provide an "empty" docking station with a PCIe x16 slot leaving the user at the discretion of installing an optional 5870 or any PCIe based GPU he would desire?[/citation]

I'm sure someone will do it. I never liked the idea of ditching parts (eg optical drives) and just using an external 'when you needed it,' but this is definitely an idea I could get behind. Like so many people have pointed out, definitely handy for those who like to game occasionally but don't want to haul around a super heavy laptop.

thegreathuntingdolphin

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2009
I am curious as to why they chose the Core 2 Duo SU7300 (1.3 GHz)....

I will say this is a good idea if you have a mobile core i7 or C2Q. I don't think they will ever have a dock for 5870, 5970, etc. They are just too big, too hot (for a dock), and require to much power (it would have to have a large power adapter which would further increase the cost).

tethoma

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2009
That is a great idea to put the video card in the docking station. Since the video card adds weight and drains power, why not put it in the docking station! Excellent idea, I see this catching on with other vendors.

tayb

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
Hm. I like this idea but I'm pretty nervous at the same time. This could be a really cool device for people who want a mobile machine but would also like to play games when they are at home. But, it could also be an excuse that laptop makers use to stop designing laptops with powerful internal GPUs and just direct the customer to buying one of these docks for a separate cost.

I'm puzzled as to why they chose the SU7300 to show off the GPU. That's not a very fast processor at all. I'm also pretty interested to know why they went with the GT220. Methinks this will be pretty bandwidth limited for the time being.

surfer1337dude

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2008
This is both funny and depressing....2 years ago I tried emailing companies like XFX and talking to people I know who are going to college for Electrical Engineering about making an external video card....they all told me they werent interested or that it wouldnt work....

jacobdrj

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2005
Battery life could be the biggest winner. Also, compare this solution to dual graphics solution like Lenovo was doing with switchable between intel integrated and mobile ATI discreet.

masterjaw

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2009
This ones going for the right track. I think this will serve a lot of people who want portability and optional gaming prowess without being stuck with the pre-installed graphics.

stridervm

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2008
More likely proof of concept.

It's because I'm almost quite sure that even if that device uses one PCI-E x1 slot even a GT240 would bring amazing performance although slightly bottlenecked by the bandwidth.....

Status
Not open for further replies.