PICTURED: Multitouch EeePC Packing Pine Trail

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tayb

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
It's called a convertible notebook and they've been around for years. I actually owned a Fujitsu T4220 a couple of years ago.

Couple of issues with this right off the bat that make it a no-go or a questionable buy at best.

1. Resistive multi-touch. Nope. Resistive screens suck. Sorry.

2. Widescreen touch/pen input on a device this small SUCKS. I know everyone wants wide screen on their laptop but when you flip this thing into tablet mode and start trying to take notes in portrait mode it's going to feel awfully cramped. Generally you want a slate tablet to be in 4:3 unless it's bigger than 13 inches. Above 13" you can start going to a wider aspect ratio because you still have enough room in portrait.

3. No pen input. The thing that was great a bout the T4220 was the Wacom active digitizer. Resistive allows me to use a stylus but it's not nearly accurate enough for real note-taking and without a slot for a stylus I'll just lose them over and over again.

4. Convertible notebooks suck. Even on the most expensive convertibles the hinge is weak and wears down over time. I'm not too interested in testing the hinge strength on a cheap convertible "netbook."

5. Battery life and power? My T4220 had 5-7 hours of battery life and a modular battery that loaded into my optical drive slot for an extra 3-5 hours of battery life. The point of a convertible is that you can type away on it and then flip it into a tablet and take hand-written notes all day long. If this thing can't last 8-5 it's not worth it.

So, at the end of the day, unless Asus blows me away with a ridiculously low price this is a definite "no buy." At this point it seems like it's a cross between two products (a notebook and a tablet) that doesn't enhance either. Seems to have the same problem the iPad is having... why would I want this device? Although I have to say I'd much rather have this device than an iPad. At least I can surf the whole web... even if it isn't the "best web experience I've ever had...."

notsleep

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2010
i want the same thing but without the keyboard. give me a slate, asus with the same spec as your tablet pc for under $400 and i'm game.

jludvig

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2008
5295 SEK! That's a tad expensive for a netbook considering the Acer Timeline 1820PT is only 7565 SEK at prisjakt with a dual core CULV, 12" multitouch and pen input, both are paperlauches though so who knows... I hope it'll end up much cheaper. The corresponding netbooks without multitouch are about half that price.

@tayb: thanks for the informative post, are you absolutely sure they don't include a separate digitizer layer for pen input with the T101MT?

On a sidenote: I'm amazed at the lack of information regarding these devices - most often than not the manufacturers descriptions leave out important details about the touchscreen, like what technology is used, how many touch points, digitizer pressure sensitivity, etc. It's almost as annoying as harddrive manufacturers never informing about the number of platters in the drives....

Djhg2000

Distinguished
May 16, 2009
It seem as JME Data is now offering it for 4995 (~$690).
The Eee T91MT currently sells for about the same price, will we see a T91MT price cut?

cj_online

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2008
Imagine if they had a core i5 + GT 330M in one of these without sacrifying the weight,battery life, size (up to 14" is fine) and without blundering the price... then THAT would be MAGIC...

Status
Not open for further replies.