Question piHole on Laptop board

worker0

Prominent
Dec 14, 2018
Heloo,
I have optic link directly to my house, with speeds about 75 Down / 45 Up Link. Router provided by ISP is Huawei HG8546M, with 1 SC connector for optics, 1 Gigabit + 3 100Mbps + USB. However router / ONT is onlz for Chinesse market and IM far away from China... ISP probably flashed custom version where even if I log in as admin, Im unable to change DNS resolver. I looking for next questions. I cant reach Gigabit on any of lan ports, my NIC supports Gigabit speed, is there any trick ( w10 ), Mobo integrated nics ( Asus P5E 64WS) have 2 gigabit lan ports, but when switch to 1 Gbps, NIC goes offline, only dedicated Intel NIC shows 1 Gbps, but eth port info says: 100 Mbps Full Duplex. How to fix this? Another question is how to setup piHole as ad blocker for my network. In Router (if can ) change DNS to PiHole IP ? Im planning to use Laptop board, 2 Ghz Dual Core / 4 GB ram. Which distro to choose for installation of pihole and how to install it on other device than Raspberry?

And what NIC I need to connect fiber directly to my PC/Server without ONT?

It depends on what abilities you have on the device.

You best option is to use this as a simple media converter....ie a ONT in this case. You would hope it has the option to bridge the device so traffic passes between the optical and the gigabit ethernet. Maybe call your ISP and ask the to help you set it up as a simple modem/ont.

You would then hook any router you want to the gigabit ethernet port and it should function. In some ways it does not matter if you do not purchase a plan that is over 100mbps the normal lan ports will not limit you.

If the ISP is not very helpful you should be able to still place a router in front and move most the function to that router. It would be best if you can also disable the wifi radios on the ONT and maybe use the DMZ option to port forward everything to your second router.

I know nothing about pihole but I though that run on a raspberry pi. You can set the dns options on your pc to use a internal dns server manually if that is your goal.

Although you likely can find optics that will work on your pc getting to actually function is another issue. ONT are not very standard some run ethernet but most are running something called GPON. There are a number of variation of GPON depending on what option the ISP is using. In most cases the ISP has rigged it so it is impossible to connect anything other than their official equipment. Partially this is to reduce theft of servers or limit you to package speeds you purchased. Still if you hooked some non standard device to their fiber you could take down everyone living near you.

worker0

Prominent
Dec 14, 2018
Port is SC/UPC in full duplex mode. I dont remember wawelenghts but is about 1400/1310 ( Something simmilar ). Plan is 50/30 but speeds goes UP abnormally. Speedtest.net says about 106 Mbps down , and Im running everything in 100Mbps ( how ??? ). Is there any trick to switch to gigabit instead of 100Mbps since all equiepment is capable. ONT 1 Gigabit port and 3 Nics supporting gigabit? And I never have a switch, only routers. ONT have 1 Gbit port - if I plug gigabit switch 4/8 ports, How is IP managed? DHCP from ONT assign each device on switch IP and I cann access these device same as running them on router? Thank you.

ONT as ONT is good, 4 WiFi networks, vLans, it can even go in bridge mode,DMZ, Firewall... Im just interested what would happen if connect switch on it and server on example 192.168.1.10 ( assigned static adress on ONT via mac ), can I still access this PC if plug second PC in port on switch and type adress? Thx a lot

Last edited:
I thought your main issue was that you could not set the DNS the way you wanted.

You can hook a switch to the gigabit port and then hook mulitple devices to the switch. The switch is completely transparent you can think of it adding more gigabit ports to the ONT. Not sure why they would put 3 100m and 1 gigabit ports on the box but there must be some reason. The lan ports internally are just small switch on most routers.

The Huawei device is actually a router and not just a ONT. It can run DHCP wifi etc. It just depends if it does all the other functions your need.

Like I said you can likely get a optical port that has all the correct light colors but getting it to match the software on their system is another thing. The communication is likely encrypted and unless you have they keys/passwords you are not gong to be able to connect to their system even you were to figure out all the software settings.

Reactions: worker0

worker0

Prominent
Dec 14, 2018
So switch will just multiply ports on router so instead of 1 i have 4/8/10 etc ( since I read that i cant access PCs through IP on unmannaged switch ) ... What is matter with gigabit speed? Is there any special settings for that ? Thank you so much.

All the machines can access each other on a switch. The router will assign ip to them all. Just pretend you could a add in board in your router that add lan ports.

A switch/machine will run gigabit automatically if it can. Since there is little difference in the cost of a 10/100 and a 10/100/1000 switch you might as well get the faster. It will allow you to copy files between machines in your house a gigabit speeds even if your internet is only 100mbps.

Im planning to use Laptop board, 2 Ghz Dual Core / 4 GB ram. Which distro to choose for installation of pihole and how to install it on other device than Raspberry?
I had a look over PiHole (actually, installed it on a spare Pi). You'll need to be quite good at Python and Linux to make it work on something else (it tool me several tries to make it work on the Pi myself, and I'm even not sure it works as intended).

worker0

Prominent
Dec 14, 2018
I'd suggest proxmox for os.

Create a debian stretch server for pihole. install takes about 5mins.
you can create a vm for router as well. pfsense or ipfire.

To make your router use pihole you just have to set the DHCP DNS to the pihole ip.

https://github.com/pi-hole/pi-hole

I would like to use virtualisation for this, it would be ideal, but there is problem. My conf is ( mentioned allready ): Motherboard: 5PE 64 WS, CPU: Q9550, RAM: 8 GB DDR3.

CPU, dont support SLAT and EPT and Im not able to make "full" GPU/PCI pass through. Why I need it? Because I get some wiered AMD GPU ( probabbly some "sample", since i buy it from friend which work in PC shop as used by him ), which is still profitabile in mining. Is there any solution for This. I try W10 Hyper V - dont support my hardware anymore, VmWare - also. Only VirtualBox for 1-2 W7 VMs on W10 host. Is tehre any solution for this? To make router / firewall I need Fiber Optic NIC and I dont know which to one to buy. I dont want to use ONT as bridge because I need it for WiFI ( Signal strenght is great ). ONT is Huawei HG8546m. Somewhere is stated that is SC APC and somewhere SC UPC connector. Is there any solution to my virtualisation? Is there ANY ANY way to pass GPU to VM on this setup. If needed I can add another GPU for configuration.

Last edited:

Latest posts