Question Pimp My Ride for T480... Ideas, Please!

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

NateB

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2010
nohello.net
if you want high reliability, buy brand new laptop.
That would make sense, intuitively. I haven't found newer laptops with hot-swap batteries, though.

Also, just based on what I've bought and used over the years, the newer the laptop, the more finicky and easy to break down they are, cheaper components, less metal, etc. Maybe it's just me, and my bad luck, I guess.

Some of my carefully selected older hardware outperforms my latest and greatest purchases.

For instance, this laptop is for replacing a late model X1 Carbon, bought brand new directly from the manufacturer, whose reliability has been wretched.

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
I haven't found newer laptops with hot-swap batteries, though.
One such laptop is Panasonic Toughbook. Latest iteration, released in 2022, is Toughbook 40 and it's features are:
The Toughbook 40 has MIL-STD-810H, MIL-STD-461G, IP66 and optional C1D2 certification. The specifications of a Panasonic Toughbook 40 include a 14" FHD nit multi touch display, magnesium alloy chassis with handle, replaceable screen protector, user-removable xPAK's, RAM, keyboard, battery and caged SSD (with heater), reinforced locking port covers, a 5MP webcam w/privacy cover & tetra-array mic infrared with Windows Hello support. The Panasonic Toughbook 40 also includes an optional blu-ray drive with xPAK and optional DVD drive with xPAK.
Specs: https://eu.connect.panasonic.com/no/en/products/toughbook/toughbook-40

Another such laptop with replaceable battery is Dell Rugged Extreme laptop. Latest one is Latitude 7330, also released in 2022;
specs: https://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/del...-13-7330-laptop/xctolr7330usvi?redirectTo=SOC

the newer the laptop, the more finicky and easy to break down they are, cheaper components, less metal, etc.
If you pay peanuts - you will get monkeys. It's that simple.

Also, most laptops aren't meant to be carried along to the hiking trip. For rugged conditions, there are purpose built laptops, like the two i linked above.

NateB

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2010
nohello.net
One such laptop is Panasonic Toughbook. Latest iteration, released in 2022, is Toughbook 40 and it's features are:
It just so happens that I had evaluated both of these already. It seems like you have some idea of my perspective for this.

I may get the $8.5k Panasonic, at some point, but for a 95% discount, the T480 is worth a try first, perhaps with a recovery toolkit involving a small GrapheneOS device, a foldable keyboard, and some NVMe cables.

The T480 is as close as one may come, I think, to a modular, high-reliability, highly upgradable laptop with commodity hardware and without the laptop being specifically designed for that, and has a discrete graphics card.