[SOLVED] Ping but Can't Browse!

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

curtistoms

Honorable
Jul 17, 2013
Hi all,

I have a very frustrating issue: I can successfully "ping" website names from the command line, but all of my internet browsers say "page cannot be displayed" or "Server not found."

Machine:
Win7 x64
Dell Inspiron 15

I have tried everything I can think of:

1. Basics: WiFi switch, network cables.
  2. Repair Adapter.
  3. Reinstall Drivers.
  4. Boot in Safe Mode w/ Networking.
  5. Virus/Malware/Rootkit/Adware Scans.
  6. Ran Norton Removal Tool (even though I didn't have Norton).
  7. ipconfig /release /renew.
  8. Flush DNS.
  9. netsh winsock reset.
  10. No proxies set -> all default obtain automatically.
  11. Uninstall all 3rd Party Firewalls/Antivirus, turn off Windows Firewall.
  12. Check hosts.ini has 127.0.0.1 localhost.

I think it must be a Windows setting since it still happens in Safe Mode with Networking, but that's just my hunch.

I'm really stuck on this one and would appreciate any help.

Thank you very much!

Last edited by a moderator:
Solution
Same problem here!

Solved!

My problem was Avast bloking internet access, after disabling internte active protection, it worked again...

Using MSE now!!

Almost two days around this problem!
Ohh God!!

Thx for this post

damoon goshtaei

Reputable
Jul 22, 2014

thanx. its work.

kruks17

Reputable
Aug 19, 2014
Being Able to ping website & unable to open in any browser is really frustrating. Well tried a hell lot of options & don't want to reset my windows.

Finally found one command that set it all straight.

What to do?

1. Run Command Prompt as Administrator
2. Type: netsh winsock reset
3. It will ask for a restart
4. Restart & its all working just fine.

:)

fakenameQ

Reputable
Aug 30, 2014
OK the same happened to me and this is how I fixed it.

Situation-
I am running a hotspot from my linux machine and was the sharing net (which I was getting through a dongle).

Solution-
Manually set the DNS preference of the connected machines to 8.8.8.8 (google's DNS server) or 8.8.4.4 (Also do this for IPv6 if you want).

Cheers :)

ContractOne

Reputable
Sep 8, 2014
Having same issue and I have tried all of the solutions above.
Windows Server 2008 R2 Ent can ping cdw.com. google.com but IE, Firefox & Chrome (all new installs) cannot resolve a website.
I have a number of desktops running on the same network with the same network settings (gateway, DNS etc.) all static. The desktops can hit the internet through a browser but a number of the servers cannot.
All computers say they are connected to the internet in network settings.

optitech

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2011
Hi, i just come here looking for solution but i somehow i figured it out to solve this issue.

Here how:

1. Open CMD and type ipconfig /registerdns

Then my try open your webpage again.

Majidak

Reputable
Mar 31, 2014
I upgraded Win 7 to Win 7 to repair it, and had the same issue. I tried a few of the above solutions, none of them worked, but uninstalling my antivirus. I just uninstalled ESET smart security, and my internet connection works fine now.

shivar23

Reputable
Sep 22, 2014
I had the same problem and this was resolved after setting the config shown below in my Win 7 laptop:

Control panel -> Network and Sharing Center -> Change adapter setting -> right click on connection & click on properties -> TCP/IPv4 - Properties -> Obtain DNS server address automatically

I was using my laptop in another country after obainting a temporary internet connection and looks the ISP have changed the above setting with preferred DNS server IP and apparently this caused the issue when I returned to my home country.

Matthew Brown

Reputable
Sep 25, 2014
Hmm.... try this people. Go to Start>Run and type in CMD and press enter. Run these commands.

C:
cd "\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc"
attrib -h -s -r hosts
echo 127.0.0.1 localhost>HOSTS
attrib +r +h +s hosts
netsh winsock reset all
netsh int ip reset all

This should really wipe everything IP/TCP/DNS related, so that would probably fix it. Often, the problem is that the hosts file has been corrupted and, in turn, stops everything from functioning without any real visible signs.. Anyways, good luck.

springerrr

Reputable
Oct 3, 2014
I did just this:

+ re-set winsock using: netsh winsock reset catalog (resets winsock entries)
+ re-set TCPIP stack using: netsh int ip reset reset.log hit (resets TCP/IP stack)

Worked!! Thanks EdSec!!

JertexSpatz

Reputable
Oct 15, 2014
Re: Can Ping, but not browse the Internet . . . . Excellent Response:

The following steps have restored Internet access from my browsers on two different machines. Thank you

1) Virus scan with Malwarebytes and SuperAntispyware
2) Full Scan with whatever installed (and updated) Antivirus is installed, we like AVG
3) Flush DNS
4) From a command prompt with administrator privileges "netsh winsock reset" - reboot
5) No proxies set -> all default obtain automatically.
6) Temorarily disable A/V then Firewall
7) Check "hosts" file only has 127.0.0.1 localhost and pointing to the server

So far we have successfully repaired an XP and a Windows 7 Pro computer, We are scheduling a road trip to update a 2003 server with the same issue.

Thank you

David Spatz ~ Jertex Networks ~ www.Jertex.com

ibbbu

Reputable
Nov 12, 2014

"I dont think this is exact solution but it works for me...

Just Restore your system to earlier "Restore Point" so it may work after that...

thank u....

xontic

Reputable
Nov 12, 2014
i got this problem 5 hours ago but i was unable to fix it i cant open webpages or open steam, origin, skype and etc. what can i do ??? i have tried almost everything. and i did nor install or uninstall any thing it just happened when i came home.

Patrick Wever

Reputable
Nov 12, 2014
Hello,

I'm having the same problem and tried all solutions mentioned in this post. ping -t resolves host name just fine and keeps going without packet loss.

Any browser I'm using (Chrome, Firefox, Safari, IE, all latest versions) is unable to connect to the Internet. Even using Perl with LWP won't work.

Using my iPhone as a Personal hotspot... and all works fine! Other devices (iPhones, iPads, computers) using the same wireless router have no problem.

Any ideas what;s going on?

Regards,

Patriick

scotiwis

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2014
I have the exact same issue - intermittently - page cannot be displayed (on any browser), but can ping sites no problem. Only way to solve each time is to reboot the machine. I have tried EVERYTHING mentioned on this post and the issue persists. I've had the issue on my laptop (Dell E6540) since I got the machine a year ago - I had it with Windows 7, Windows 8, and Windows 8.1 on the laptop.

matman_mo

Reputable
Dec 11, 2014
I can ping sites through the cmd prompt and see other win7 computers and share files. All browsers time out when I type in standard yahoo or google addresses. A couple of weeks ago I lost Chrome and couldn't browse with it, but IE and firefox still worked. I quit trying to solve that problem after a couple of hours and just quit using Chrome.

I tried everything mentioned. No success. I switched off the windows firewall and it still didn't work. All netsh comments were completed but I still couldn't see browse with any browsers.

The issue was with bitdefender and an update that was made.. Rather than uninstall bitdefender through add/remove programs, there was an option to repair. These solutions don't usually work but this time it did and now I can browse.

Advice: Try the netsh options since they are pretty fast. If that doesn't work, you should reinstall or repair your antivirus before getting to sophisticated with resolving the issue.

mnace1

Reputable
Dec 13, 2014

:):bounce::pt1cable::wahoo::love:
Hey man I really can't describe my feelings now! I don't know what to say!
The only thing exist in my mind is you saved my life man, I can't live without internet! thank you, thanks god! :):bounce::pt1cable::wahoo::love:

just typed in command prompt:
netsh
winsock
reset
=> and magic happened and save my life :)

:):bounce::pt1cable::wahoo::love:

_________
my problem description was:
http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-2422087/weird-internet-connectivity-problem.html

thill1976

Reputable
Jan 27, 2015
I had a similar issue. The first time I came accross it I ended up restoring to factory settings. It turns out the windows updates that were done or another update at the same time installed a cisco vpn client. msconfig could not disable the service so despite my best efforts I had to disable it via the registry. That resolved the issue.

Hopefully this will help someone else.

jonnye1

Reputable
Jan 30, 2015
Aaarrrrggghhhh!!!!!

Disabled Avast anti virus and HayPresto!!!!! :bounce:

4 hours of tearing my hair out!

Thank god for that - really didn't want to re-install windows!

eyecantell

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2009
I was having a similar issue.

DLINK Router. If i connected directly to modem it was not problem, but wireless and direct connections to the router could not browse the internet.

I could ping google.com from the router interface, but not from the command line.
I was able to ping 64.233.177.113 (a google site) from the command line but ping google.com would fail the lookup.

SOLUTION
Restored router to factory settings and reconfigured. All seems to be working now. hth.

Yeni84

Honorable
Mar 21, 2015
Hello, Matthew Brown,
Your solution solved my problem.
You suggested:
Go to Start>Run and type in CMD and press enter. Run these commands.
C:
cd "\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc"
attrib -h -s -r hosts
echo 127.0.0.1 localhost>HOSTS
attrib +r +h +s hosts
netsh winsock reset all
netsh int ip reset all

Thank you a lot. Actually my girl cousin thanks you also; because her PC had the problem. Behavior was like this: typing www.google.com showed page cannot be displayed, ping in www.google. com did not work (cannot find host), ping in IP of google is ok, browsing from mobile phone on WiFi is ok, reset pc and set DNS to 8.8.8.8 did not solve.
But your solution solved it. Many thanks again. Yeni and Isra, Romania
PS: If not logged in as Administrator, in start/Accessrories/righ click Command Prompt and choose Run as Administrator. And then type the commands.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS