Question Ping is 60-200ms in games, Multiple Ping Tests say 10-40

rtm05

Prominent
Jul 14, 2018
Recently my ping has been surprisingly high in the games I play compared to what they were previously, League of legends 60-70, previously around 20, Roblox 160-500, previously around 60, and Minecraft 140, previously around 20. Im connected to the internet via an ethernet cable, I have reset my internet drivers a couple times already and I reset my computer a few weeks ago (Due to an unrelated problem). When doing internet or ping tests, such as Ookla and Meter.net, My ping is around 20 when connected to Seattle Servers, 40 on Los Angeles Servers, and 70 when on Austin servers. How might I be able to resolve this problem?

Are you actually running ping to the same IP addresses the games are using. You can see the ip being used in the resource monitor network tab. Many times it will show you the actual latency if the game is using tcp.

Games tell lies many times because they do not actually use ping commands they use internal measurements. These are affected by things like server and client latency. They may better represent a games latency but they include factors that are not always network.

Generally ping times are pretty consistent because they represent distance. If you see ping times increase using actual ping commands most times it is because of congestion in the network. This is many times called buffer bloat because the delays are caused by equipment in the path holding data in buffers.

You need to be very sure you are not exceeding you upload or download bandwidths.

rtm05

Prominent
Jul 14, 2018
Are you actually running ping to the same IP addresses the games are using. You can see the ip being used in the resource monitor network tab. Many times it will show you the actual latency if the game is using tcp.

Games tell lies many times because they do not actually use ping commands they use internal measurements. These are affected by things like server and client latency. They may better represent a games latency but they include factors that are not always network.

Generally ping times are pretty consistent because they represent distance. If you see ping times increase using actual ping commands most times it is because of congestion in the network. This is many times called buffer bloat because the delays are caused by equipment in the path holding data in buffers.

You need to be very sure you are not exceeding you upload or download bandwidths.
It seems to be that everything is normal, Im not exceeding my bandwidths. But I am able to notice the high ping in the games I play, I will often be "rubber-band'ed" around, and my actions will take a few seconds to actually take effect.

You still need to do careful testing. You can not compare times to speedtest and ping test server to game servers you must actually test to the game servers. Just because servers are in the same city does not mean they use the same ISP so they can have very different ping times.

You can also try testing the ping time on a different device when the game says it has issues. Many times things that are not network affect the numbers reported by the in game ping. For example the game could be so busy processing video that is delays taking the data out of the network buffer. It blames this on delay on the network when it was really the program didn't bother to check to see if the data had arrived.

rtm05

Prominent
Jul 14, 2018
You still need to do careful testing. You can not compare times to speedtest and ping test server to game servers you must actually test to the game servers. Just because servers are in the same city does not mean they use the same ISP so they can have very different ping times.

You can also try testing the ping time on a different device when the game says it has issues. Many times things that are not network affect the numbers reported by the in game ping. For example the game could be so busy processing video that is delays taking the data out of the network buffer. It blames this on delay on the network when it was really the program didn't bother to check to see if the data had arrived.
Im am already aware of those things you are speaking of. But how might I test for it and/or fix it?