[SOLVED] ping is high all of the sudden

Jan 21, 2022
hey. about a month ago my ping jumped up from around 20 ms, to the 100 - 300ms range. this also happened to my brother who was on a wireless connection at the time, but now he's on ethernet and is fine. restarting the router tends to fix the issue for a few hours, but it just goes back to being crap the next day. I'm pretty new to this so any help is appreciated. thanks.

Solution
It would be really nice if the wifi nic makers would give a report on data errors and retransmission. The wifi chip actually has this data but they do not give you a way to access it.

Still even if you would find out that your data is getting stomped on by your neighbors it does not solve the problem. This is like complaining there are too many cars on the road when you drive to work.

There is very limited wifi bandwidth and modern wifi equipment to get maximum speeds is trying to use all of it for a single device. In addition everyone is putting in those stupid mesh systems which increases the over crowding even more.

Now this really only greatly affects people that attempt to play online games on wifi which is why you see...

kanewolf

Titan
hey. about a month ago my ping jumped up from around 20 ms, to the 100 - 300ms range. this also happened to my brother who was on a wireless connection at the time, but now he's on ethernet and is fine. restarting the router tends to fix the issue for a few hours, but it just goes back to being crap the next day. I'm pretty new to this so any help is appreciated. thanks.
It is probably interference from nearby neighbors WIFI. There is very little you can do. Rebooting, causes the router to pick a different WIFI channel, but eventually the neighbors also move.

Reactions: poopman99
Jan 21, 2022
It is probably interference from nearby neighbors WIFI. There is very little you can do. Rebooting, causes the router to pick a different WIFI channel, but eventually the neighbors also move.
is there a way that i can check that this is the issue? oh and if it is, how do i solve it?

Last edited:
It would be really nice if the wifi nic makers would give a report on data errors and retransmission. The wifi chip actually has this data but they do not give you a way to access it.

Still even if you would find out that your data is getting stomped on by your neighbors it does not solve the problem. This is like complaining there are too many cars on the road when you drive to work.

There is very limited wifi bandwidth and modern wifi equipment to get maximum speeds is trying to use all of it for a single device. In addition everyone is putting in those stupid mesh systems which increases the over crowding even more.

Now this really only greatly affects people that attempt to play online games on wifi which is why you see it said to never play games on wifi.

There really is no solution to this other than to not use wifi. Consider other technology like MoCa or powerline networks.

In a year or two this problem might get better. Wifi6e is just starting to be more common. This has a new radio band on the 6ghz range. The key advantage is there is a massive amount of new bandwidth. This should allow people to get large chunks and not overlap their neighbors as much.
I suspect though in say 5 years we will be right back where we are. Someone will invent a 40gigbit wifi nic that will attempt to use all this new radio bandwidth for a signal device.

Reactions: poopman99
Solution
Jan 21, 2022
oh wow, thanks a ton. so I'm guessing that switching to ethernet is the only true solution. the only issue is that the router and modem are in my brother's room. do you know any way I could get ethernet even with this problem? thanks.

Best of course is to find a way to run a actual ethernet cable though the walls. If you have a attic or basement it might not be real hard.

The next best option is if you have coax cable in both rooms you can use MoCA. The newer moca can get full gigabit speed with low latency in most houses. If that is not a option you look at powerline networks. The newer models that have numbers like av1000 or av2000 tend to work in most houses.
They might get 300mbps if you are lucky but the key is they have very stable latency.