Question Ping is only stable when downloading

Suidd

Prominent
Jun 16, 2023
My ping is only stable when i download somthing never when im not downloading something its super weird and i dont understand it. anyone know possible issue? first image is when im not downloading anything and the second image is when im downloading a game. I had a tech come out and look and they said they have no idea what the issue could be, everything looks fine on their end.

I am not so sure your ping time is you big problem.

So first you have a strange issue that is likely your router messing the testing up.

The big issue that this shows is you are getting large amounts of packet loss in all hops including the final destination. It seems to be much worse in your first test than your second but even .5% loss is enough that you see issues. It will cause big lag in games.

Although it could be your router or pc it is unlikely. What this appears to be is some issue with the connection coming to your house. Maybe your ISP can see errors.

If it is a cable modem you might be able see something in the log or maybe you will be able to tell something from the signal levels.

Suidd

Prominent
Jun 16, 2023
I am not so sure your ping time is you big problem.

So first you have a strange issue that is likely your router messing the testing up.

The big issue that this shows is you are getting large amounts of packet loss in all hops including the final destination. It seems to be much worse in your first test than your second but even .5% loss is enough that you see issues. It will cause big lag in games.

Although it could be your router or pc it is unlikely. What this appears to be is some issue with the connection coming to your house. Maybe your ISP can see errors.

If it is a cable modem you might be able see something in the log or maybe you will be able to tell something from the signal levels.
A tech came to the house and said on their end everything is fine wires and everything so i have no idea and im completely out of ideas

Ralston18

Titan
The tech likely only tested up to the modem. They have no responsibilities beyond that with the exception that the modem and/or router are not ISP provided.

That said: I will ask about the modem, router (or modem/router if combined): Makes and models?

How is your network physically set up?

I am wondering about the devices in the first three hops: 192.168.77.1, 192.168.1.1, and 10.4.6.93

(What is dumaos.lan? )

More information needed.

Connection path being the following line diagram where ----> represents an Ethernet cable:

ISP === (coax, DSL, fiber) ===> Modem ---->[WAN Port] Router [LAN Port(s)] ----> Wired network devices and ~~~~> Wireless network devices as applicable.
Feel free to edit and correct my line diagram as necessary. Show all connected devices and lable with make and model.

Also run " ipconfig /all" (without quotes) via the Command Prompt.

Copy and paste the full results here.

Jun 5, 2024
I would use an application that shows all of the traffic within your network, and analyze those packets to see if you can get any further information on individual packets. Something like Wireshark is good, and you can filter it accordingly. That being said, if you're not familiar with any of the terms or how to use those applications, you may not be able to solve it yourself but could do further research into it if the issue persists.

Suidd

Prominent
Jun 16, 2023
The tech likely only tested up to the modem. They have no responsibilities beyond that with the exception that the modem and/or router are not ISP provided.

That said: I will ask about the modem, router (or modem/router if combined): Makes and models?

How is your network physically set up?

I am wondering about the devices in the first three hops: 192.168.77.1, 192.168.1.1, and 10.4.6.93

(What is dumaos.lan? )

More information needed.

Connection path being the following line diagram where ----> represents an Ethernet cable:

ISP === (coax, DSL, fiber) ===> Modem ---->[WAN Port] Router [LAN Port(s)] ----> Wired network devices and ~~~~> Wireless network devices as applicable.
Feel free to edit and correct my line diagram as necessary. Show all connected devices and lable with make and model.

Also run " ipconfig /all" (without quotes) via the Command Prompt.

Copy and paste the full results here.
Optimum === (coax) ===> Modem is from optimum its a ALTICE UBC1338AA92 which is plugged into my netduma router which is what dumalan is on pingplotter ---->just ethernet cable ran into my netduma router and 2 other devices on the wifi and thats it
View: https://imgur.com/a/E5NOik9

Ralston18

Titan
Per "ipconfig /all":

The "Connection-specific DNS Suffix" (shown as "lan") is not what I would expect. Source?

Your computer is currently receiving a DHCP IP address of 192.168.77.230 from the router at 192.168.77.1 (Subnet masking = 255.255.255.0) - that is all okay.

Lease time for the IP address is only 17 hours or so. Should not make a difference per se but the lease time should be increased - at least a week or so if possible. Lease time is set via admin access to the router's menu screens.

IPv6 is disabled so problems or potential problems with IPv6 are moot. Not uncommon to disable IPv6 to resolve network problems.

One immediate change to make is to change the DNS Server from 192.168.77.1 (dumalan) to Google addresses at 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4.

Suidd

Prominent
Jun 16, 2023
I cant really change the lease time i dont have those kind of settings on the modem from optimum its very basic settings they allow me to change.

TRENDING THREADS