[SOLVED] Ping issues in Valorant ?

KingOfSnub

Commendable
Oct 16, 2019
I have no idea if I should be posting in this thread or "PC Gaming" one but any help would be greatly appreciated as I am kinda desperate.

To give you quick explanation, my friends that I game with all live across the country from me. I live on the East Coast and they live on the west. Due to me being the only one to live on the East I would like to play on their server that way all 4 of them do not have to play on my server. Unfortunately for whatever reason my ping discrepancy between my best server and my worst server is 120ish ms(see below for screenshot link)difference which means it is virtually unplayable for me.

However for my friends their ping discrepancy is only around 20-30 ms, best to worse. They are getting around 25 ms on their server and 55ish on my server. Ultimately they put up with the 55ish ms so they can play with me but I feel bad making them do it since its my internet problem.

Do keep in mind I have the best internet out of all them in terms down/up speeds and one of my friends literally lives in the mountains with limited internet and does not have this issue.

I have spoken to Valorant Support and even had my ISP Technicians come out to my house twice and nothing fixed my ping discrepancy.

I have tried a different computer, different ethernet cables, tried wifi as well. Tried plugging directly into my modem vs my router and nothing helps at all.

If anyone has any idea what the issue may be please help. My last resort will be to get a new ISP and hope that fixes the issue but I would like to rule everything out before I do that as that may not even fix the issue.

PS. This is not just a Valorant issue, I had the same issue when playing New World.
PPS. I am decently technology literate but if am dumb and this is something simple, please feel free to call me dumb lol.

View: https://imgur.com/MXlHfYY

Solution
That is kinda strange but it is totally outside anything you control.

You only have 1 path and all your equipment in your house uses that one path no matter if it goes to the server that gets 30ms or the one that gets 150ms. Although a ethernet cable can not really delay data lets say you had a magic one that somehow added 50ms. If you would use that cable even the closest server that get 30ms would now get 80ms and the 150 would go to 200. So if it was anything like your router/modem/pc or even the ISP connection to your house all sites would be affected.

The problem likely is in how your ISP connects to other ISP. Let say someone that lives across the street from buy services from ISP A. You buy service from ISP B...

You only have 1 path and all your equipment in your house uses that one path no matter if it goes to the server that gets 30ms or the one that gets 150ms. Although a ethernet cable can not really delay data lets say you had a magic one that somehow added 50ms. If you would use that cable even the closest server that get 30ms would now get 80ms and the 150 would go to 200. So if it was anything like your router/modem/pc or even the ISP connection to your house all sites would be affected.

The problem likely is in how your ISP connects to other ISP. Let say someone that lives across the street from buy services from ISP A. You buy service from ISP B. You would think that going across the street would take say 1ms but when you test you see 300ms. What you find out is you find out is your ISP is really cheap and only purchased a connection to ISP A in some far away country. So to go across the street the traffic must go all the way to that country on your ISP network, then cross over to the other ISP network and come back.

This is a silly example but all ISP do not always connect to other ISP in the most optimum manner. It can vary in different parts of the country even when you have one of the larger ISP.

In any case you can do nothing about this. Your only real option would be to try to get a different ISP at your house. Now a variation of that is to use a VPN service. This is very hit and miss. You would need to find a vpn service that your ISP has very good latency to but then the vpn service had a better path to the game server.
Some of the so called "gaming" vpn services are your best bet but there is no way to say for sure. Mostly this helps people that live in say asia where all ISP do not have access to the best undersea fiber paths.

Solution

KingOfSnub

Commendable
Oct 16, 2019

The problem likely is in how your ISP connects to other ISP. Let say someone that lives across the street from buy services from ISP A. You buy service from ISP B. You would think that going across the street would take say 1ms but when you test you see 300ms. What you find out is you find out is your ISP is really cheap and only purchased a connection to ISP A in some far away country. So to go across the street the traffic must go all the way to that country on your ISP network, then cross over to the other ISP network and come back.

This is a silly example but all ISP do not always connect to other ISP in the most optimum manner. It can vary in different parts of the country even when you have one of the larger ISP.

In any case you can do nothing about this. Your only real option would be to try to get a different ISP at your house. Now a variation of that is to use a VPN service. This is very hit and miss. You would need to find a vpn service that your ISP has very good latency to but then the vpn service had a better path to the game server.
Some of the so called "gaming" vpn services are your best bet but there is no way to say for sure. Mostly this helps people that live in say asia where all ISP do not have access to the best undersea fiber paths.
I dont know if this changes your analysis but I did a ping test online to servers nearby the listed ones on valorant and got significantly better ping. Do you think that means there is something going on between my ISP and Valorant specifically?

What do you mean "nearby". The city a server is in means nothing. It all depends on how it is connected, just like the example where you and your neighbor use different ISP. Depending on how the ISP connects to other ISP you will get very different results.

You would have to test to other server that also buy services from the same ISP as valorant. It all doesn't matter its not like you can call your ISP up and request some better connection to those servers. I mean if you pay big money you could have a private fiber path directly to the data center that contains the server.

KingOfSnub

Commendable
Oct 16, 2019
What do you mean "nearby". The city a server is in means nothing. It all depends on how it is connected, just like the example where you and your neighbor use different ISP. Depending on how the ISP connects to other ISP you will get very different results.

You would have to test to other server that also buy services from the same ISP as valorant. It all doesn't matter its not like you can call your ISP up and request some better connection to those servers. I mean if you pay big money you could have a private fiber path directly to the data center that contains the server.
I meant that riot has a server in Dallas where according to the game I am getting 116 ms but if I do the ping test online to a different dallas server, albeit not Riots and also Dallas is a big city, I am get 54 ms. So based on what you are saying doesnt that mean the fault may lie in how my ISP is connecting specifically to Riots server? Or am i completely off base?