Ping - resolving names

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.protocol.tcpip (More info?)

I have re- IPd a server at a remote location and changed all the DNS entries
to show the right IP address.
When I am at my local computer and use a command prompt to type " ping
servername " it returns the old ip address.

Where is it finding the old address? do I have a cache somewhere I need to
purge?

Thanks,
Rob

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.protocol.tcpip (More info?)

It could be cached on your local box but a reboot would have cleared that.
Check WINS/DNS or lmhosts/hosts files.

--
Scott Harding
MCSE, MCSA, A+, Network+
"Rob Bergstrom" <nospam@backatcha.com> wrote in message
>I have re- IPd a server at a remote location and changed all the DNS
>entries
> to show the right IP address.
> When I am at my local computer and use a command prompt to type " ping
> servername " it returns the old ip address.
>
> Where is it finding the old address? do I have a cache somewhere I need to
> purge?
>
> Thanks,
> Rob

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.protocol.tcpip (More info?)

If you're on XP, try ipconfig /flushdns

ipconfig /displaydns will show what's in your local DNS cache

"Rob Bergstrom" <nospam@backatcha.com> wrote in message
>I have re- IPd a server at a remote location and changed all the DNS
>entries
> to show the right IP address.
> When I am at my local computer and use a command prompt to type " ping
> servername " it returns the old ip address.
>
> Where is it finding the old address? do I have a cache somewhere I need to
> purge?
>
> Thanks,
> Rob

vicky

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2003
Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.protocol.tcpip (More info?)

ipconfig /flushdns