Ping Spike when gaming or icmp

Lancadore

Commendable
May 27, 2016
There is a lot of ping spikes when playing any online fps game. Here is the system information of router.
Router SNR Infromation

Here is the result when I ping google.
Ping Results

As you can see (where I have drawn red lines) the ping spikes.

This have been happening for more than a month now.

What can be the issue? Is there something wrong with the line? And what about these values (as I don't understand them very well)?

PS: This is the best connection I can get in my country as of now :p

Not sure how you play any games when 300ms ping times are the best you get and you get worse spikes.

The 300 is huge, the largest latency you tend to see is from india to the USA and that generally is under 250ms. Ping is normally a fairly good indicator of distance between the locations. Normally I would guess you are on a satellite but that is even worse at about 500ms...again because of the distance all the way to the satellite.

There almost has to be something other than simple network equipment causing these delays.

You can try tools called pathping or pingplotter to try to identify where the huge delays are happening.

In many cases you can do nothing to fix this if the problem is someplace in the ISP network.

Lancadore

Commendable
May 27, 2016

I am so sorry. I should've mentioned it in the post, but normally I have 180 ping to google, because the ADSL mode is changed so that's why it is 300+ ping. Also it is copper cable. Not satellite.

The trouble shooting is still the same. You need to find out where all that latency comes from.

You could try a simple tracert but it likely will not catch the random ping spikes. The other tools mentioned run for longer periods of time and have a better chance to catch them.

It all depend where the problem is. If it happens in the first hop then you know the problem is inside your house or your router. That is highly unlikely unless you are using wifi. If the problem is in hop2 that generally represents the connection between your house and the ISP first router. Many times the ISP can fix that. Farther away takes some digging, many times the hops are outside your ISP network

Lancadore

Commendable
May 27, 2016

Thanks so much for the info. But when I am trying to do the pathping test after 2 hops it just stops. I yeah my ISP is the problem. I will have to wait then until they solve the problem. Thanks