[SOLVED] ping spikes and packet loss in games even though just browsing the web is perfectly fine.

Jan 26, 2022
ive been getting a ton of frequent ping spikes and packet loss in games on my pc and its unplayable. everything other than games runs smoothly. ive done a factory reset on my router and reboot on my verizon ont box but nothing seems to work. ive ran some tests and even though the ping and packet loss shows up perfectly fine, in games its basically hell. i checked my settings and found out that the 4k tv that my second floors tenant uses has over 1 mbps for download speed while the pc im using only has around 25-30. could it be a bandwidth problem? also, my pc is too far from router to use wired network but i have a wifi point in my room. any help is greatly appreciated.

Solution
So how did you manage to get a wifi point in your room if the router is too far away to get wifi on your computer.
If this uses some form of wired connection to get back to the main router can you not plug your pc into that wired connection.

If you are using a wifi repeater you only read the marketing magic hype and you do not actually have a better signal in your room. Think of it this way. Instead of connecting your repeater to your router by wifi you connect your wifi to my router instead. You will still get great signal levels from you repeater but the repeater
will get no signal at all from mine because you are too far away. In your current situation your repeater is getting the same crappy signal from the...
So how did you manage to get a wifi point in your room if the router is too far away to get wifi on your computer.
If this uses some form of wired connection to get back to the main router can you not plug your pc into that wired connection.

If you are using a wifi repeater you only read the marketing magic hype and you do not actually have a better signal in your room. Think of it this way. Instead of connecting your repeater to your router by wifi you connect your wifi to my router instead. You will still get great signal levels from you repeater but the repeater
will get no signal at all from mine because you are too far away. In your current situation your repeater is getting the same crappy signal from the main router as your pc does. It then attempt to repeat it making it even worse. You will be better off just connecting directly to main router even if the signal is weak.

The symptoms you describe are exactly the reason everyone says to not play games on wifi. Pretty much every other application is not affected by some small packet loss and large ping spikes. Games are extremely susceptible to these issues and wifi because of its fundemental design cause much more latency/ping variation.

There really is no solution to this when you use wifi and have poor signal levels. Consider options other than wifi. If you have coax cables in your house MoCA tends to be a very good option. Even the newer powerline networks will be better for games than wifi.

Solution
Jan 26, 2022
I’m using the WiFi point to extend my WiFi. I’m saying the router is too far from my pc to use a wired connection. I have a good connection after I use the point. I contacted my isp mutiple times and all they say is from their end internet is perfectly fine

What's your actual internet plan speed?

I would consider putting your tenant on their own guest network so anyone they invite can't get into your network. They can only access the internet, and you can also set bandwidth limits on guest networks. Limit them to 30mbps or something like that.

Jan 26, 2022
What's your actual internet plan speed?

I would consider putting your tenant on their own guest network so anyone they invite can't get into your network. They can only access the internet, and you can also set bandwidth limits on guest networks. Limit them to 30mbps or something like that.
It’s 300mbps. There’s around 10 devices connected to the WiFi including tenants.

Jan 26, 2022
Why don't you directly connect to the main router via wifi.

Of course the ISP says everything is fine. Your problem is you are trying to play games on wifi.

Wifi is always subject to interference which causes all kinds of issues for games.
I’m saying the router is too far from my pc to go wired. And I have a WiFi point/router in my room to get full bars of connection.

You have been conned by the marketing guys at the "wifi point" company.

You can not just place some box in your room and it magically fixes a wifi problem. If your PC gets a bad signal from the main router the magic box will get a bad signal from the main router and then repeat it making it even worse.

The signal level has nothing to do with the quality of the data being sent on it. Lets say you take your magic box and connect to the router in my house......of course it can't because it is too far away. You still will get 4 bars to your PC but get a zero speed on speedtest.

You need to place the box someplace it can get a very strong signal from the main router but still be able to send a signal to the remote room. You still have 2 radio hops in the path that will cause lag spikes in games.

Your best option to get good gaming performance is to start all over and not use that technology. Look to use a powerline network box instead.

Do you have a coax tv outlet in your room, or clsoer to your room? Verizon uses MOCA on some of it's routers, which main router do you have the black G1100 or the White G3100?

If so, the better option would be too get a MOCA WIFI Extender from Verizon and use the wired coax option. That'll give you a much cleaner and better data path: https://www.verizon.com/support/residential/internet/equipment/network-extender

The wifi extender you have now sucks. Sure you have a full connection too the extender, but the extender does not have a great connecton back to the main router.