ping spikes when pinging default gateway!

deepak ramrakhyani

Reputable
Jun 16, 2014
From past few days while gaming online i noticed ping spikes, normally i used to get ping <20ms but from few days i get ping spikes till 500ms that really destroys the gameplay.
Afterwards i noticed that i am connected to two networks, so i did "ipconfig" to check my default gateway and saw that i have two default gateways
Screenshot
when i pinged 192.168.0.1(my routers ip address) i got these results
Screenshot
but when i pinged the other gateway 172.31.29.1 the results were normal with 1ms ping.
Now i dont know what is the problem! i searched on the web but no clue please help me how to solve this as i am very frustrated.

Solution
hey, having multiple default gateways can cause connectivity issues, the second gateways is there encase the primary gateway fails. first try doing a ipconfig /release then do a ipconfig /renew on your cmd. if that fails then you must delete one. go to cmd and type "route print" then type "route delete 172.31.29.1" also i believe you can go to you Control Panel\Network and Internet\Network Connections then click the network and hit properties ipv4 and click advance and remove the default gateway

plivin89

Reputable
Jun 11, 2014
hey, having multiple default gateways can cause connectivity issues, the second gateways is there encase the primary gateway fails. first try doing a ipconfig /release then do a ipconfig /renew on your cmd. if that fails then you must delete one. go to cmd and type "route print" then type "route delete 172.31.29.1" also i believe you can go to you Control Panel\Network and Internet\Network Connections then click the network and hit properties ipv4 and click advance and remove the default gateway

Solution