[SOLVED] Ping spiking around 6PM

Aug 9, 2020
My ping keeps spiking to 90-600 from 6PM-11:30PM. When I ask my ISP for help he tells me to call the kids helpline. What do I do to fix this?

Solution
it's not just your local connection. whatever service you are trying to use at that time is the same service many many other people are also trying to use at that one time. it's just how it works. people get off work and after supper, enjoy some time online for game play (i assume this is what you are trying to do since it is just about the only thing people care about ping time with).

very few companies make/maintain enough servers to handle peak usage 24/7, so during these peek times, everyone suffers a little bit. it's cheaper this way for the company providing the service.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
nothing more than likely. what you are seeing is the prime time mass usage of the connection all over the area. that's the time everyone is online doing whatever all at once so the entire area suffers from congestion at that time.

nothing you can really do about it except do something that does not need a low ping during that time frame. it's just the ay cable internet works sadly. :(

Aug 9, 2020
nothing more than likely. what you are seeing is the prime time mass usage of the connection all over the area. that's the time everyone is online doing whatever all at once so the entire area suffers from congestion at that time.

nothing you can really do about it except do something that does not need a low ping during that time frame. it's just the ay cable internet works sadly. :(
Thing is I dont have cable internet.

It really doesn't matter how it is delivered. You at some point share the bandwidth. Pretty much the only techology that is not shared in the last mile between your house and the ISP is DSL. It is still shared between the device all the dsl lines hook to and the ISP main network. DSL is so slow you do not see this issue as much.

Every other technology the bandwidth is shared on the last mile between the ISP and your house.

The ISP sells everyone 1gbit plans knowing that only 2 or 3 people can actually run that fast at the same time.

Aug 9, 2020
It really doesn't matter how it is delivered. You at some point share the bandwidth. Pretty much the only techology that is not shared in the last mile between your house and the ISP is DSL. It is still shared between the device all the dsl lines hook to and the ISP main network. DSL is so slow you do not see this issue as much.

Every other technology the bandwidth is shared on the last mile between the ISP and your house.

The ISP sells everyone 1gbit plans knowing that only 2 or 3 people can actually run that fast at the same time.
My isp is really local and barely has any customers, and this only started recently.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
it's not just your local connection. whatever service you are trying to use at that time is the same service many many other people are also trying to use at that one time. it's just how it works. people get off work and after supper, enjoy some time online for game play (i assume this is what you are trying to do since it is just about the only thing people care about ping time with).

very few companies make/maintain enough servers to handle peak usage 24/7, so during these peek times, everyone suffers a little bit. it's cheaper this way for the company providing the service.

Solution
Smaller ISP actually have a much higher risk of this because they have less total bandwidth. This quickly gets into mathematical definition things. Lets just save even if both ISP have the same average bandwidth per customer the smaller ISP can not tolerate the peak loads as well.
The connection issue can be anyplace in their network. It could be between their customers or it could be they did not buy enough bandwidth from the larger ISP they connect to.

In any case you can do nothing about those problem. Try with just a single machine connected to your router just to be sure it is not some traffic from some other device in your house. Also be sure to use ethernet if it is wifi it can be all your neighbors got home from work and their wifi signal is interfering more.